Ubuntu crew, couple quick questions v.sound&slavedrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hydrogen, May 15, 2006.

1. Hydrogen

Hydrogen building block

i have been on ubuntu for a couple days now and i like it alot, its hard getting used to the command line functions being a windows user my whole life but i am getting there. now for a couple things i can't find documentation on.

1. i get no sound. alsa mixer is installed. i can see my sound card under the pci bridge in device manager, it says info.linux.driver is ICE1724. this device is selected under the alsa mixer. there must be some install thing i am missing.

2 i have a slave drive that is formatted ntfs with my mp3s/tv shows/movies on. where/how can i access these files?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. Hydrogen

Hydrogen building block

thanks for the response mang, i took care of the slave drive issue, and for sound i found out the sound card isnt compatable with linux so i switched to onboard, i lost 5.1 but oh wells.

so far ubuntu is nice, very efficient and clean.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is it just me, or is this yet another demonstration that Linux continues to be inferior to Windows if for no other reason than half the shit you can buy won't work with it? It would be different if Linux were the gold standard and all the hardware companies wanted to conform to it, but Linux has all kinds of licensing issues when it comes to using (or recreating) proprietary technologies. It can't write to NTFS because that's a Microsoft trade secret that Microsoft won't share with them, and your sound card just "isn't compatible with linux"? WTF? Why even bother switching then?

What you'd really need is a computer that's built from the ground up to be linux-compatible, so you wouldn't have all these issues to deal with. THEN linux might be practical.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That post brought to you by bullshit aliance and deusexaethera. Holding it up on the trolling frontier since Jan 2005.

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

:gtfo2: you have no clue what you are talking about

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Holy shit dude... wrong again.

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:bowrofl: :Owned:

9. deusexaethera

I knew that post would be inflammatory; it included a personal opinion. I just don't like Linux is all, I've not had the best of luck with it in the past. In fact, I've not once had a computer that didn't contain at least one piece of hardware that was incompatible with whatever linux distribution I was trying to use at the time.

(leaves room for Jolly's witty retort)

Regarding my comment that a built-from-scratch linux-compatible computer would be a good idea, the guy DID say that he'd determined his offboard sound card to be incompatible with his linux distro, didn't he? In this respect at least, I am not wrong.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't have to say much... You've done an excellent job at insulting yourself in this thread.

Just because it doesn't work out-of-box doesn't mean it doesn't work, at all. I was one of the first people to get the Netgear 311T cards to work in linux. All about getting the right drivers compiled, with the right card headers.

11. deusexaethera

I wish I had the patience to do that.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

or the knowledge?

Seriously, you CLAIM you're a sys-admin... But I don't see how you could be employeed in this field. Especially with NO understanding of Linux. What DO you do? Now is your chance to explain to me WHERE you base your (mis)information from. Here is your chance to start fresh with me. Here is your chance to redeem yourself in some small way.

13. deusexaethera

Systems Engineer, Jolly. Not Systems Administrator. I do some network/server/workstation maintenance and configuration work (actually more than my boss likes, but nobody else has the time for it), but for the most part I come up with designs for solutions.

I work for LJT & Associates, Inc. You can find them at www.ljt.com

Maybe I could say I wish I had the patience to obtain that particular kind of knowledge. Fortunately, we run WS2003.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

So you are in Herndon?

So basically you plug workstations in, hit "Okay" at a few RIS prompts, maybe run a few automation scripts someone else wrote, etc... And now you're an expert in the field?

15. deusexaethera

When did I say I was an expert in systems administration? There's more to using computers than just the few most difficult and/or intricate tasks that exist, and I do have a good amount of experience with many of them. The rant I posted above was out of frustration with having had similar problems as the ones the thread-starter had in the past.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

So because you didn't have the patience to LEARN something new (and linux is definitely a frustrating learning experience for those who are just getting into it) you hate Linux and feel compelled to write a windows sackriding linux-bashing post? For shame.