ubuntu.... convince me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sffitzge, Dec 18, 2008.

1. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

I've been thinking about putting ubuntu on my T60p that I bought 2.5 years ago due to recent problems, and the fact that ubuntu looks cool as hell. I was planning on updating my hard drive, and possibly my RAM then "reformatting" (apparently T60's can essentially set everything back to how it originally came during start up) and if that doesn't fix the random bugs then converting to ubuntu.

I guess i'm just hoping someone will convince me to say screw it and just switch over to ubuntu.

note: i have absolutely no knowledge of Linux and no programming knowledge, except that which i had to pass my first year of college (junior in biological engineering)

cliffs: convince me to use ubuntu

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

+1 for crontab's recommendation. i think the VMWare appliances tied to the free VMWare player are awesome ways of testing out different operating systems and such.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Ubuntu takes time to learn. If you're willing to learn, go for it. Definitely pick up some sort of resource on Ubuntu that will help you with some command line arguments so you're not clueless. It's good to know basic commands like cd, ls, and rm ^.^

remember, rm -rf = bad :)

5. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

i'm trying to use VMplayer, and i've made an account and downloaded ubuntu8.10 but it won't let me log on, it says my password is incorrect. am i missing something?

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I put ubuntu on a WD Passport USB drive and it's pretty good.

I don't have to skimp on my laptop HD space by partitioning.

The drawback is that it lags sometimes but overall I'm enjoying it.

It's not hard to learn if you're interested.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

User name and password are listed on the download page.

It runs like such shit, I dont know if thats due to the virtual environment or not but regardless its like choosing to use a pair of scissors to cut your grass. I don't know why anyone would use that over windows, if your system is shit its pretty easy to make even vista use practically no resources.

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Posting from ubuntu lol... takes 8 times longer to load a page and as I type this my text appears on the screen in bursts after I stop typing, is this common for a virtual machine?

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

"I don't know why anyone would use that over windows"

:lol:

Retarded posts.

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yes, good explanation to my simple question of why it ran like crap and what reasons if any there are to run this on a desktop instead of windows.

Highly informative post.

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have no idea why you have trouble running VMWare, though it could be because you don't have enough memory. i don't know if the VMWare Player has options for how much memory to allocate to the virtual machine.

the other thing is that you may have tweaked your system and disabled something that VMWare depends on for performance. deusx posted something recently about how disabling system services and the like for increased performance may ultimately come back to bite you. that might be your situation.

anyway, virtual machines in VMWare run fine if your system can handle it. you are running 2 full operating systems and need to have the resources to handle it. i was running OSX with XP in a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion on a MacBook Pro with 4Gb of memory and it ran faster than XP did on native hardware (though moving to VMWare did break the filesystem encryption which i'm sure helped).

12. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Instead of using VMware you could try the Wubi installer to run Ubuntu on your machine. It basically installs Ubuntu into a file on your harddrive and you can then dual-boot into Ubuntu while still having Windows installed on your system. If you don't like Ubuntu, just uninstall Wubi and Ubuntu is gone. You don't have to worry about virtualization and the slowdown that can sometimes occur while running in a VM.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't use Ubuntu. Use Kubuntu. KDE 4.0 is now integrated and is, in the words of the late Winston Churchill, "mad-tight dope-ass shit, yo". Can't argue with a recommendation like that.

The problem with installing Linux in a VM is you'll probably never use it because it'll run slower and Windows will always be there in the background, waiting to do what you want to do, and you'll already know how to use it. What I would do is wipe the computer, install Kubuntu, then install VMware Server for Linux and install Windows inside a VM. That way you can still have Windows when you really need it, and use Kubuntu the rest of the time.

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

user error

15. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

no offense, but that is a stupid recommendation.

16. deusexaethera

Actually, it's a great recommendation. I did it myself and it works great.

17. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Yes, telling a windows person who has never used linux before to install linux and vmware server to run window's vm's.

Brilliant.

18. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well if you're doing it, that's a red flag right there that it might not be a good idea.

19. deusexaethera

I wasn't the first person to suggest using virtual machines. Since the idea had already been floated, I presented what I consider to be the best possible approach along those lines.

If he doesn't want to get that advanced, he's more than welcome to just install Kubuntu and nothing else.

20. deusexaethera

Did you install VMware Tools?

21. deusexaethera

And yet, somehow, I have yet to stumble off a cliff by accident and/or starve to death. Hmm.

22. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

This has nothing to do with the use of virtualization.

I suggested the simplest most windows centric scenario. Install a piece of windows software that can run a linux vm. Even that monkey codex managed to be able to do that.

You on the other hand suggested the most complicated linux oriented scenario.

What you consider to be the best solution may not be good for others. Good job.

23. CodeX

CodeX Guest

that "monkey" figured out how to programmatically sync to and read data from an analog NTSC signal today on a 100mhz DSP with a total of 6... count them 6... clock cycles per pixel acquisition time. Syncing the ADC to the video signal so that the start of conversion occured at the same time was a bitch due to the processors pipeline... Originally rows would be offset by up to 4 pixels due to the 1 of 4 possible states of the pipe upon entering the assembly acquisition loop.

The loop itself uses a branch on non-zero with a predecrimented register comparison in 4 cycles, fastest possible I have deduced after pouring over the instruction set, and then I use 2 cycles to copy the ADC result register to a memory buffer. This loops for 300 pixels in one line, after which certain math is performed on the array (shifting the value into the correct 64-color grayscale run on the palette, packing two 8 bit palette indexes into 16 bits, and writing to video memory). This all occurs during the next line, which is missed. The following line is offset by one so we leave a blank, I needed the time to process the data read from the last line. When a full interleaved frame is drawn I wait for the next frame sync, start on the odd lines and fill those in in a similar manner. At the end of both even line and odd line frames I take a full frames worth of time to apply post processing effects. So in the end we get real time software based 30 frames per second NTSC video on a 100mhz DSP with only enough ram to cache a single line at a time. And since it is a complete software solution I can apply all kinds of effects to the image in real time. I have already developed brightness/contrast adjustment and infinetely variable zooming on the horizontal and verticle axes independently. I am also planning on performing certain statistical analysis of the image to attempt to auto center on a specific point of interest and also to determine the degree of contamination (the video is coming from a scope probe, used to analyze the physical connections in a fiber optic link)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  24. pitchblue

pitchblue New Member

ubuntu is pure light sex

25. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

maybe i should go make a thread in the front desk about you trying to derail this thread [​IMG]