GUN UA student shoots, kills two

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Oct 17, 2008.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

TUCSON- — A University of Arizona student fatally shot two men who forced their way into his off-campus home early Thursday, Tucson police said.

The 23-year-old student was in the small backyard guest house where he lived several blocks north of the university about 12:30 a.m. when two men in their 20s came to the door and forced their way in, police spokesman Sgt. Fabian Pacheco said. The student armed himself with a handgun and shot them both, then called police.

The men were dead when police arrived.

The student didn't know the suspects and there is no indication he was involved in any criminal activity that could have made him a target for the suspects, Pacheco said.

“It could be that they went to the wrong residence — or they went to the right residence but were looking for someone who lived there before,” Pacheco said. “The victim has only lived there for a few months.”

The student is cooperating with detectives, who are making sure his statements match up with evidence at the scene, Pacheco said. But there's nothing to indicate he did anything wrong.

“All indications are that this is a home invasion,” Pacheco said. “These individuals forced their way into his home, and he is a gun owner, felt his life was in danger and fired at these suspects.”

One of the dead men has been tentatively identified, but police haven't released the identities of either the suspects or the student.

==========================================
    *Sounds* like a good shoot. Be interesting to hear how this plays out.

2. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

in for results

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

4. JaimeZX

Follow-up - I'll bold the new information.
    ==============================================
    Police: 2 killed in home invasion may be tied to previous tenant
    Current tenant, 23, sees weapon, kills them both, cops say

SHERYL KORNMAN and FERNANDA ECHÁVARRI
    Tucson Citizen

Both men identified by Tucson police as the suspects killed in an apparent home invasion Thursday north of the University of Arizona had criminal records here.
    Shontel L. Early, 30, and Wesley O. Fenstermacher, 29
    , were shot and killed by a UA student, said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco.
    He said the shooting is still under investigation.

The men were killed after they forced their way into the rental property in the 800 block of East Adams Street, Pacheco said in a news release.
    According to public court records, Fenstermacher had been arrested eight times and Early 10 times over the last 10 years on a variety of misdemeanor charges. Some of the cases were traffic offenses.

Early was found guilty of theft in 1999; in 2003, four individuals obtained an order of protection against him alleging domestic violence.
    In September 2008, he was found guilty of driving with a suspended license. Fenstermacher was found guilty of criminal trespassing in 2004. He was arrested on an aggravated assault charge in 2005 and pleaded guilty to a DUI charge in 2000.

Pacheco gave this account of the incident:
    At 12:38 a.m. Thursday, Operations Division West police officers were sent to a residence in the 800 block of East Adams Street, "in reference to a shooting."
    The resident called 911 and reported that he shot two men who forced entry into his home at gunpoint.
    Tucson Police homicide detectives determined the home's tenant was alone in a one-bedroom guesthouse when he answered a knock at his front door.
    The man saw two men, one of them pointing a handgun at him, Pacheco said.
    He said that as he tried to close the door, the men pushed their way in as he ran for his own gun.
    The 23-year-old victim fired at them, killing both of them, Pacheco said.
    The victim told police one of the men had covered his face in a bandanna.

What the two men were seeking at the rental property is not known, Pacheco said.

The student had been renting the home for a few months and there was no indication he was involved in any activity that would have made him a target, he said.
    He said it's possible the men were targeting whoever lived in the rental prior to the current tenant, or that the attack was random.

Students living off campus in the UA area are "generally safe," said Sgt. Juan Alvarez of the University of Arizona Police Department, which does not have jurisdiction in this case. He urged students who hear noises outside their residence and suspect they are at risk to call 911.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Sounds like a good shoot.

6. JaimeZX

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Give him a medal and a tax credit for his marksmanship.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

good thing he got them both.

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

i cant say what happened was justified. human life is still a human life. To what extent does one human go to kill another human. What IS right, WHO is right, who ultimately proceeds humans when judgement is called. Life valued at little a cost, a price to end so willingly paid. lives are ended never to return. A man, violated at another's hand. A war with ourselves. Sad, what choices we have and are capable of, lead to this.
    The world is at its most ugliest point in this century. Unfortunate for all who are involved. Sorry that they all face whatever consequences that lay ahead..whether legally or spirtually. good luck to u in the future..U of A Student.

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

wait....did I just wander into the main forum without even having a sub?

11. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

:rofl: Nah it was just one of the half dozen stupid comments on that news link JamieZX put up.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

oh :rofl:

13. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was seriously about to ask wtf was going on. You got me good fucker.

14. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

:bigthumb:

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

libfags

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:werd:

Good shot

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

:ugh2:

yeah I guess that would have worked too...

18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

"Hello, I would like to request a few officers respond to my residence at 123 Main St, Apartment C. [listens] Yes, there may be an emergency; it seems to gentlemen have kicked in my front door, and are, at the moment, chasing me around the house with a gun. I'm concerned someone may be hurt. [listens] Yes, an ambulance might not be a bad idea either. [listens] Oh, that would be fine. You see, I don't live in a typical 800sq/ft dorm apartment, but a 12,000sq/ft mansion that is essentially a habitable Rubiks Cube...as long as I keep running the same pattern, they will have to chase me for at LEAST 15 minutes and I've won the Boston Marathon twice, so your officer's will have plenty of time to get here. [listens] Hey, that's swell. I'll see you soon. Thank you! You too!"

or

"Armed homeowner at 123 Main St, two men broke into my house and tried to kill me with a gun. I am armed and shot at them. They are still here, but do not appear to be a threat. I also need an ambulance, I do not know if I am injured. I will stay on the phone with you until the officer's arrive and secure the scene. I'm wearing a green shirt and blue jeans. Please inform them of my description and coordinate with the officer's to assist them in securing my weapon safely."

19. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

:bowdown: :bowdown:

20. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I would like to hereby have my complete agreement with this sentiment noted for the record.

Also, I am intrigued by your suggestion. Do you, perchance, have a newsletter to which I could subscribe? Perhaps some brochures I could peruse?

21. cent

cent New Member

sounds justified and the guy was a good shot

22. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

and that ladies and gentlemen is how its done. though i would have called my attorney prior to the police

23. JaimeZX

Moar update:
    ==================================
    Cops: 2 killings look like self-defense

UA student grabs his handgun, shoots intruders and calls police
    By Alexis Huicochea
    arizona daily star
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 10.17.2008

Evidence in the fatal shooting of two intruders by a University of Arizona student appears to be
    consistent with his account that he was defending himself, police said.

The 23-year-old student shot and killed Shontel R. Early, 30, and Wesley O. Fenstermacher, 29,
    after the two men barged into his home early Thursday morning, said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco,
    a Tucson Police Department spokesman.
    At least one of the intruders had a gun. The incident occurred shortly after 12:30 a.m., Pacheco said.

The police spokesman gave this account:

The student was home alone in a guest house in the 800 block of East Adams Street,
    near North Euclid Avenue and East Speedway.

There was a knock at the door, and one of the men asked for someone who did not live there.

The student looked past the man he was speaking with and saw another man, who had his face
    covered and had a gun.

The student retreated into his home and grabbed his own handgun, but the men made their way in.

The student fired, then called police to report the shooting. When officers arrived, they found the
    two men dead inside just past the doorway.

The student was questioned and is cooperating with police. His name was not released.

There is no indication that the student is or has been involved in any criminal activity, police said.

Pacheco could not say what the men were looking for or if they had possibly intended to go to a different house.

The case will be presented to the Pima County Attorney's Office for a determination on whether
    the shootings were justified, Pacheco said.

Neighbors were alarmed by the events.

Ali Adelmann, a UA sophomore, just moved into the neighborhood this semester. "It really worries me,"
    the Phoenix resident said. "All we can do is keep our doors and windows locked."

Jenny Wise also moved into the neighborhood in August. The 19-year-old sophomore said she
    wasn't home at the time of the shootings. She had gone to a party, and when she arrived home around
    2 a.m. she found her street taped off and flooded with police.

"It's really the scariest thing," Wise said. "I've lived a sheltered life. This seems like a nice little neighborhood.
    I don't know what I would've done if two guys tried to get into my house," Wise said.

24. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

ZCP M3 for Prez? :cool:

25. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

that is worthy of an A in his political science class