MIL U.S. troop obesity doubles

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Mistrezz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. The Mistrezz

The Mistrezz New Member

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON — The number of troops diagnosed as overweight or obese has more than doubled since the start of the Iraq war, yet another example of stress and strains of continuing combat deployments, according to a recent Pentagon study.

The review, contained in the January edition of the Defense Department's Medical Surveillance Monthly Report, raises concerns about the overall readiness as demands on the military continue to increase, says Dr. Michael Kilpatrick, director of strategic communication for Pentagon health affairs.

"Stress and return from deployment were the most frequently cited reasons" for gaining weight, the study said. The largest increase in diagnoses of overweight and obese troops came in the last five years, the report said.

From 1998 to 2002, the number of servicemembers diagnosed as overweight remained steady at about one or two out of 100. But those numbers increased after 2003, according to the study, and today nearly one in 20 are diagnosed as clinically overweight.

There may be even more overweight troops than the report shows, Kilpatrick said, because the study includes only servicemembers diagnosed as overweight during a visit with a doctor. The actual percentage of troops who are found to be overweight during fitness trials could be higher, he said.

The weight-gain trend is among many strains shown within the military after six years of war and back-to-back deployments. They include steadily rising suicides and divorce rates among soldiers and Marines and increased prescription drug use in the Army.

Problems with obesity among the general public — fostered by fast-food restaurants and increasingly popular sedentary pastimes such as video games — have spilled over into the military, the study suggests.

One in five Americans between ages 18 to 34 is obese, the study says. The Army reports problems of obesity among recruits.

"Overweight/obesity is a significant military medical concern because it is associated with decreased military operational effectiveness," the study says.

2. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

It is becoming increasingly popular as a way to get out of the military too. Get chubby, fail the PFA three times and it is almost guaranteed to get you kicked out now as the Navy at least is trying to cut back on numbers of people. Used to be they'd just keep giving you waivers.

3. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

i know a few people who gained a shitload of weight while deployed
    might have something to do with pretty much being able to get as much food as you want at the DFAC, especially desserts

4. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

:joshers:

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

BRB, got to grab a donut and coke prior to heading into work.

6. WildBull

WildBull Guest

i lost weight :ugh2:

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i think the difference is that far back nobody cared/reported it as much

8. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i lost close to 20 lbs on every deployment i made including the one to the desert where the food was awesome and you could get deserts whenever you wanted :dunno: it looked to me like there were alot less fattys in the desert than underway on the ship where the food was disgusting

9. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

And / or it was easy to just finish your commitment and leave. Now with stop-loss and stop-move, it's harder to just "finish".

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Maybe for the marines, every other branch it is almost unheard of for an E7 & below to get held up past their EAOS unless it is for legal hold.

Military is also downsizing now, they have too many people. Back in the 90's you could fail every PFA you ever took and you would just get waivers to stay in because they either needed you or felt sorry. Now, especially with this economy and hordes of people attempting to enlist, they can be more picky with who they keep. No point in keeping fatasses.

11. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

I don't like to down on the Natinal Guard, but just by looking at when the chart started going up with obesity is aroudn the time when the National Guard started deploying overseas and the Natioanl Guard is not monitored as much as active duty Army until they are activated. I am National Guard and it just seemed that wehn we got deployed people were all about getting in shape and people were losing weight. Then after about 4 months a lot of those people stopeed working out and started gaining weight back. Just making an observation.

12. Joybang

Joybang New Member

My GF is in the Guard as well and she said when she did her RSP there were a ton of fatties that could barely finish PT.

13. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

i ate healthier when i was able to go to the big chow hallss. it's eating the shitty ass fried food all the time when all you get are field chow rations.

14. willijdub

willijdub New Member

i lost 20 lbs while deployed.... and i was eating everything i could get my hands on, i just could NOT gain weight. since i got back a year ago this month, ive gained back that weight so as i dont look malnourished anymore.

15. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I think what I was trying to say was completely opposite of that - but I have no empirical evidence to back up my post other than what I remember to be true. That was 10yrs and many, many beers ago. So my recollection may be hazy :o

16. JSin

JSin New Member

Wait, I thought stress has always been linked to weight loss... not it makes you gain weight. I guess it sounds better than stuffingyourfaceitis is on the rise, but I don't think its accurate.

I'm also in the lost weight category. Although I had the willpower to avoid multiple deserts for every meal.

17. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

maybe they should stop frying most of their food :p .... and they should make cardio PT a requirment 3 days a work week.

18. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

any USMC in here? I attend pool funtions every week and it is absolutely unacceptable to be close to overweight. I'm pretty ignorant, but I assume Navy and air force aren't near as patronized for being over weight

19. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

the military needs to clean up their chow halls

there is no reason people should be able to eat corn dogs and pizza 3 times a day

20. Julius

Julius Guest

this

try serving nutritious food. the military can get fucked for taking my BAS and providing me with shitty, low quality food.

21. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

even their nutritious food has way too much quantity for almost every service member.

Yes when I am in the field I am going to eat everything you put in front of me, but on the large bases in deployed areas they need to put those REMFs on calorie counters

22. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

It's all those trips to Kuwait :mamoru:

23. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

Regular Army DFAC food is below standard. I'm over here at Benning and the difference is night and day betwen the Ranger dining facility and the OCS. At the OCS the food is complete utter junk.

24. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Better increase that PT time fat bodies!

25. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

The DFAC food is so damned unhealthy. I have to pick and choose carefully, eating the same healthier options everytime. Its no wonder that people get fat over here.

I cringe when I see a fatty going to get dessert after chowing down on deep fried chicken & gravy, with french fries, a coke, and some cheese sticks.