MIL u.s. military misses recruiting goals again. and again. *link*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sidewalk, May 3, 2005.

1. sidewalk

sidewalk Guest

US Military Misses Recruiting Goals

05/02/05 05:17 pm

By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Army missed its goals for signing up recruits in April and expects to do so again in May, and the Marines also fell short, officials said on Monday, as the Iraq war further strained the all-volunteer U.S. military.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Army and Marines provide the ground forces fighting rebels in the two-year-old Iraq war that has killed nearly 1,600 U.S. troops. At least 51 American troops died in April.

The active-duty Army missed its April recruiting goal and was 15 percent behind its year-to-date target, officials said. An internal forecast indicated the active-duty Army and part-time Army Reserve and Army National Guard also will miss their May goals.

The active-duty Army, striving to attract 80,000 recruits in the 2005 fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, has now missed its recruiting targets for three straight months.

The Marines also missed their goal for signing up new recruits in April for the fourth straight month, said Marine Corps Recruiting Command spokesman Maj. David Griesmer. He said 2,711 recruits signed contracts in April to begin serving within a year, but the Marines now trailed their year-to-date goal by 2 percent.

Griesmer added that the Marines were optimistic about meeting their goal of signing up 38,195 Marines in fiscal 2005.

Officials said the Navy and Air Force were meeting their recruiting targets.

'SIGNIFICANT RECRUITING NUMBERS'

The active-duty Army has not missed an annual recruiting goal since 1999.

"The Army is expected to make significant recruiting numbers through the summer months as it has traditionally done, and we remain cautiously optimistic that we'll meet our overall goal by the end of the fiscal year," said Col. Joe Curtin, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon.

Officials did not release exact recruiting figures for April, but said the Army Reserve also came up short. They said Army National Guard figures were not completed, but expected a shortfall there as well. The Army National Guard has missed every monthly recruiting goal to date in fiscal 2005.

Army Recruiting Command spokesman Douglas Smith said the issues affecting recruiting efforts were the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and improving civilian job opportunities. Smith said the Army has boosted the number of recruiters across the country and expanded financial incentives for enlistment.

The Army has begun an advertising campaign seeking to persuade parents and other adults who influence the decisions of young people about the importance of serving the country.

The Marines have not missed an annual goal for signing up new recruits since 1995.

"It's true there's a war on. It's true the economy is improving," Griesmer said. "Sure, it's challenging. But we're out there looking for warriors. And we're not going to lower our standards."

The Iraq war marks the first test of the all-volunteer military in a protracted wartime environment. Some defense analysts have argued the United States may be forced to consider reviving the draft, abolished in 1973, if the military cannot attract sufficient numbers of volunteers.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said last week a draft may be needed, adding: "I think people who could conceivably be talking about a draft are simply planning for all scenarios."

2. Klepto

Klepto Guest

3. Ocultada

Ocultada New Member

Imagine that.... people dont want to join the army when there's a war going on.... who would have thought...

4. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

This is a suprise? Let me sign up so I can go over to iraq and have a good chance of being killed :ugh:

5. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

:rofl:

yeah, you're an idiot.

let's figure, for a moment, that we've got around 250,000 troops over there right now. take away the 1500 or so that have been killed. (not to mention that over a million have rotated there and back.

so yeah, if you consider .4% a good chance, go you :bigthumb:

oh, and i love how the us air force and us navy (having met more than double their recruiting goals) seem to have been kicked out of the us military.

6. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

bitch

7. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

Especially since the AF and Navy laid off nearly 25,000 men and women.
    Soldiers have a higher death rate in peace time then in war.

8. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

:bowdown:

I just LOVE it when idiots get :Owned: by facts! :bigthumb:

9. Ylen

Ylen Guest

i posted that and another one that was written today in off topic

10. C5Load

you aren't welcome in this forum :wavey:

11. Ylen

Ylen Guest

c5load i know you reply but i have no idea what you said as you're on my ignore list

12. C5Load

someone wanna quote me for him? :rofl:

13. Sammo

Sammo New Member

is what he said

14. Ylen

Ylen Guest

thx for quoting him, c5load i do not see rules posted yet so till then i will continue posting here

15. Ylen

Ylen Guest