MIL U.S. Army people:Was this legitimate?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Artanis, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Artanis

Artanis New Member

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Looks pretty standard to me.

• They saw weapons being hidden.
    • They asked for permission to fire.
    • The request was clarified and passed up to someone that could authorize them to fire.
    • They waited.
    • And waited.
    • And waited.
    • They were finally given the OK to fire, did so, and took out several combattants.

3. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Legit. From the radio traffic there is a person on the ground that confirmed the weapons.

5. Artanis

Artanis New Member

I'm talking about the wounded guy.

6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Because you explained that oh so well in your original post.

7. Artanis

Artanis New Member

Don't get pissed, I thought it was obvious.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Just because he is wounded doesn't mean they cannot fire.
    The guy wasn't trying to turn himself in, and he was not a noncombatant.

9. Artanis

Artanis New Member

weird...
    he could shoot down an apache helicopter flying 1000 feet above him with his crappy iraqi weapon? I didn't even see one. In my eyes this was not necessary.

10. Jyokker

So now we should match his firepower and capabilities? Instead of using state of the art equipment and weapons, we should send in a group of soldiers to take them out? Come on. It's not like it was a civilian mom holding a baby. Given the chance, that guy would have slit your throat and not thought twice about it.

11. Artanis

Artanis New Member

I don't care about insurgents, that's not the point. But if I was an officer in any Army and I'd see that someone would kill incapacitated hostiles I'd get his ass in jail.

12. Jyokker

He did the guy a favor. He put him out of his misery.
    LOAC:
    Unlawful Combatants. Unlawful combatants are individuals who directly participate in hostilities without being authorized by governmental authority or under international law to do so. For example, bandits who rob and plunder and civilians who attack a downed airman are unlawful combatants. Unlawful combatants who engage in hostilities violate LOAC and become lawful targets. They may be killed or wounded and, if captured, may be tried as war criminals for their LOAC violations

13. Ranger-AO

There is a difference between a soldier on the ground and a pilot in an aircraft.

The soldier may have a squad or team with him, and may be able to determine when a combatant is wounded and willing to surrender or able to be captured. The soldier on the ground can determine whether the situation and the area are safe enough to attempt a capture and/or administer medical assistance. The pilot, by the nature of his mission, does not have this capability. I seriously doubt that the rules of engagement are micromanaged down to the point where they specify that a pilot must determine when his target is wounded to the point where he is no longer able to continue hostile actions. Additionally, the pilot is sitting in a moving, vibrating, loud aircraft. The video we saw was completely seperated from the hundreds of lights, indicators, guages, switches, and controls that the pilot had to divide his attention between. To say nothing of the time lag between the determination that there is someone moving, the squeezing of the trigger, and the impact of the bullets. Add into this mix the fact that the pilot must continue to move in a random pattern and be alert to the potential of incoming hostile fire in the form of everything from small arms to RPGs to shoulder-fired SAMs.

You didn't link us to a segment of COPS. It's the military. And guess what - they kill people! :eek5:

14. MrMan

MrMan New Member

It's not the fact that the person can or cannot shoot at the Apache. That weapon was placed there for a reason. It was confirmed by a ground platoon, which could have been then intended target. That's just like if they buried a tank in sand and no troops are around. The Apaches are high in the air and the tank cannot target them. Would Apaches not eliminate the targets? Another example, enemy aircraft on the ground. Should our military wait until the aircraft is flying in the air? They destroy them ahead of time to prevent them from being effective in the future.

15. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

the second guy to be killed was waving a shirt or a flag. looks like surrender. but i've seen another apache gun video from gulf war one, and they mowed down a shitload of surrendering iraqi's. the show was on discovery channel, originally airing about 10 years ago. i've seen it since, but that part apparently got cut out. wonder why. guess the army doesn't want everyone to know about their S.O.P. I know i could care less.

16. Ranger-AO

I saw him pull a cloth off of either himself or the concrete pipe the first dead guy had just left, but I did not see him wave it around as if he was trying to surrender. He pulled it off and threw it away. No wavey found. :ugh2:

link to video of an apache mowing down surrendering iraqis? I'm not saying it didn't or doesn't happen. People in the military do stupid shit all the time. Evidence of that can be found in the several courts martial convictions. When I see a member of the military doing something stupid, I don't hesitate to say so. Just ask anyone on this sub-forum. But based on the one time that you and I have seen the same video, and your obviously wrong interpretation of it, I would like to see the evidence for myself.

17. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

I love the people who say it was a bundle of sticks regularly used to mark fields that he dropped. Im sure he would have ran like hell trying to be inconspicuous too. :rolleyes:

18. BassBoy14

BassBoy14 New Member

Move out of your moms house and come over here, yes it was a good kill