Two XP choices on startup - only one installed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SeeVinceRun, Jul 10, 2008.

1. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Ok, its now my turn to be called a noob and a dumbass, because I have a stupid problem I cant google.

I just got a laptop, dell 5100 from the parents. its an old 2.4ghz unit that needs a reinstall of windows. I reinstalled XP pro, everything went smoothly. Then when I restarted the dell, I was given two choices for OS boot. I could boot to xp pro, or the original xp home....that doesn't exist. I used the whole partition when installing Pro, so how is this still an option?

Is there something special I need to do to completely remove xp home? its reading the full 30 gig drive, no part is partitioned away or anything.

Im at a loss. The only thing I can think of is that since its a dell, it will always have the OS choice that came preinstalled on the system. Ideas? Insights?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Open boot.ini and remove the entry for the non-existant OS... you will no longer be given a choice on startup

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Here is basically what the file should look like:

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect 

4. SeeVinceRun

Got ya. Im doing ANOTHER reinstall right now, so I will attempt this ASAP if the dual choices are still found. Thank you for the quick help.

5. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Make sure you're doing a complete format and reinstall. It could be the result of installing XP on top of itself.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Another reinstall won't do anything, because the installer won't replace boot.ini unless all the existing files are deleted.

What CodeX said is what you need to do. Open boot.ini in Notepad and delete one of the two entries, assuming they both work; otherwise, delete the one that doesn't work.

7. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

Just open msconfig, go to the boot.ini tab, and select check all boot paths if you're lazy.

8. deusexaethera

That won't work if both entries point to the same valid Windows folder.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just go to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup And Recovery and uncheck the box next time to list operating systems.

And while you're at it, uncheck the box to disable automatic restart on system failure (BSOD) in case you ever get a blue screen ;)

10. deusexaethera

Christ, he doesn't need solutions that don't actually solve the problem. Edit boot.ini, delete one of the two options. Done.

11. SeeVinceRun

Done, Didnt have to edit anything. The install was bad the frist time, re-did it, everything works without a hitch. BUT, its good to know about the boot.ini file now

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

And what if he accidentally deltetes the wrong option?

Nothing wrong in this case to just turn off the option to display a list of OS's at startup. It's not hurting anything.