two subs or one sub?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M-1000, Aug 31, 2003.

1. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

amp is getting mailed next business day (tuesday). JBL 600.1. bought it off ebay for cheap :bigthumb:. saved myself just over $400 :wiggle:. but im probably going to buy either 1 or 2 alpine type s 12" subs.

jbl 600.1

600w max @ 2 ohms
    300w max @ 4 ohms

alpine type s - 600w max
    1241 model - single voice coil, connects in 2 ohms
    1241d model - dual voice coil, connects in 4 ohms, 2 ohms if two are connected

which would be better to buy? a single sub or two subs?

and whats the difference between a single or dual voice coil? does it make much, or any difference?

2. 04

04 Guest

Well obviously 2 subwoofers of the same type would be better than one. 2 would have more output and less distortion at the same output levels as a single sub. For that amplifier, I would suggest getting 2 of the TypeS woofers. The reason being is that 600w max usuallly indicates a peak power rating, and the woofers would probably be better suited with around 300 watts apiece, which is what your 600.1 amplifier will put out.

The difference between a single and dual voice coil subwoofer is that the dual voice coil model allows 2 different wiring options. You can either wire the voice coils in parallel or in series with each other, creating two different loads for an amplifier.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the type-s woofers are rated at 200 watts rms.

4. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Get Alpine Type R...they are rated at 300wRMS but can definitely handle 500RMS each no problem...They have held up great for me and sound awesome.

5. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

Have you looked into any other subs? I'm not sure what you're paying/planning to pay for those Type S subs, but I'm sure someone here can recommend something better for the same price...

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

actually i prefer the type-s over the type-r, but i listen to them all day so what do i know. :dunno:

7. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

1 very good sub with a much bigger xmax can easily be better than 2 poor subs. Also, bear in mind that you would probably have room for 1 good sub which you can then put in a ported enclosure, but with two subs you will probably have to go with sealed.

Also consider that when you buy 1 good sub, you always have the option of buying another when the money and/or the need arises. ;)