Two Simultaneous Network Connections

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Hello all,
    I have a laptop that is directly connected to a wired router. I also have a wireless router (on a totally different connection -> one is DSL, and the other Cable). Is there any way to distinguish which applications will use each interface? ie force AIM to use Wireless, Firefox to use wired, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I don't think so -- though I wonder if you blocked specific ports on your default connection (assuming wired) if your apps would 'hunt' for open ports using your other (wireless) interface. If you know that Firefox is using wireless to access the Internet try blocking port 80 on the wireless router and see what it does. :noes:

3. Sexual Vanilla

I've never heard of anyone doing this...so it's going to be interesting to see if it works.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I think you can create more then one connection under windows. However, I believe only one can be active at a time so you'd have to disable one then enable the other.

Go to Start | MyNetworkPlaces and r-click, then select properties. When that window opens, on the left side you should see Set Up a New Connection....be sure to have IP, gateway and DNS info for the new router handy. That's also where you'll enable/disable them.

Hope that helps

5. Strung

Strung New Member

From my understanding, you cannot do this with a wired and wireless connection. On a desktop, you can run two NICs and bridge the connection.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How does Windows decide which connection to use? I've noticed that if I have a wired connection to the Internet and initiate a dialup connection or a connection over my Verizon air card, it'll use that instead. But how does it choose which to use? If you knew how that process worked, you might be able to control it.

7. Sexual Vanilla

Yeah, I've Google'd it with no luck. :wtc:

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Iv'e also wondered this. I was going to get a wireless card for my desktop to run 2 different connections.

9. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

this can be done, but not easily.

First off make sure both connections are on and set the metric for the 2nd (wireless) connection to be higher then that of the wired connection.

You will then need to know the destination ip address of the host you wish to hit on the wireless network (ie: oscar.aol.com for AIM) and create a static windows route to point it to your wireless connection.

This would force traffic for known subnets to go out the connection you prefer and all default traffic to be routed out of your wired connection via the lower metric assigned to it.

You can also do it via route-maps and NBAR if you had a cisco router :).

10. Sexual Vanilla

Thanks for the response. I read about the metrics method from a Microsoft article. One would think with the advancement of networking, Windows XP would provide a more simple way of doing this. :rant:

11. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

It really has nothing to do with Windows XP or the OS and more about the TCP/IP protocol stack itself and how it makes decisions. You generally leave the path decision up to a router and or routing protocol. It would certainly be a disaster if every end station could easily edit their routing table and choose which paths they wanted to take through the network.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I haven't tried it but looking at the interface you might be able to use Zone Alarm to do this. Or any other firewall that allows you to setup access rules for ports and/or programs and can handle 2 or more networks (zones) for that matter.

edit: nope, nevermind. I fired it up in a VM and it can't handle 2 interfaces (well it can but it won't allow you to assign to them). However, looking at the interface VisNetic Firewall might. Seems to allow you to set rules for each network connection. http://www.deerfield.com/products/visnetic-firewall/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  13. Sexual Vanilla

Does Vista make this any easier?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you CAN do that with static routes. But it's not worth it.