Two questions regarding an older car.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by interstate, Dec 21, 2003.

1. interstate

interstate New Member

I'm looking at buying a 67 Camaro.

The paint is in pretty good condition, its no show car, but its not completely trashed either...

My first question is about the stripe on it around the nose. The guy who did the stripe on the car I'm looking at didn't do it correctly. There's an "RS" emblem on each side of the car, and the stripe is supposed to break at the RS symbol as seen in the picture below.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the stripe on the car I am looking at.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if it would be easy to somehow remove that small portion of the stripe and hopefully maintain decent paint underneath so that it'll look the way it is supposed to? If so, how can that be done?

My second question is about other parts of the paint. There are a few small chips in it that someone has painted in with that cheap replacement paint from walmart or where ever.. can chips like those be cleaned up and possibly fixed easily, or is it something that a professional must do? I just want the chips to be flush with the rest of the paint, rather than being so noticable with the edges protruding so much...

Thanks for any help!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'm not sure how you can fix the stripe so it is correct, you may have to replace it competely.

Without seeing the chips, it is hard to say what steps you need to correct them. You can alway use the proper touch up paint, dab it into the chips until slightly above the rest of the paint then go back with a compound and polish it down the next day.

3. interstate

interstate New Member

How do you remove the stripe? I've never owned a car with decals on it, so I don't have any experience with applying/removing them..

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

hairdryer, then carefully peel up an edge until the whole thing comes up.

However, depending on how it was done, it may be under the clearcoat of the car. Look to see if there are any defined edges that look like just vinyl on top of the paint. Otherwise, it may either be painted on or have clearcoat over it.

5. interstate

interstate New Member

so maybe if I can cut a little slice across the stripe, and then get it with a hairdryer, itll come up, and then i can just cut it across where i need it to?

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:nono: you would run the risk of scraping/gouging the paint, which is worse. Find out if the stripe is painted in, first; if it is, you're screwed anyways, but if not just get a whole new stripe and make sure it has the break in it before you install.

7. interstate

interstate New Member

I'm positive its not painted in. Bah, Maybe I'll jsut leave it, or jsut remove the emblems untill the car gets a repaint..