GUN Two questions - 10/22 and AK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keesh, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

First question. What is a decent 20/30 round magazine for a 10/22? I bought a Ramline and it is pretty much a piece of shit. I get a FTF about every other round untill I get to the last 5 rounds.

Second. I can't get the barrel pin out of my Polish AK. I don't have access to a press and I have been pounding and pounding away with a 3lb hammer and a punch. What should I be soaking it in? Also, has anyone ever tried the freezer method (where you leave it in the freezer overnight and it's supposedly easier to pound out?)

Thanks in advance :wavey:

2. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

My best luck has always been Butler Creek mags. I've never used a Ramline that was worth a crap. The Tactical Innovations mags are supposed to be the bee's knees, but they are spendy ($35 plastic, $60 aluminum). Condor mags are supposed to be good, too. The MGW or whatever 50rd tear drop mags suck also. Never heard of a good one, but of course, people only bitch about the crappy ones.

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Most anything with metal feedlips is good to go. Problem with the plastic feed lips is they get worn out, fucked up, misshapen. I have a couple that are absolutely worthless except for in 77/22's.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

This Ramline didn't even work out of the box. The spring gets stuck and won't press the rounds up. Can't really take it apart to fix it either 'cause it's a plastic POS. Well, lesson learned.

5. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Did you buy it locally? Maybe they will take it back or let you exchange it for something else.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Nah, bought it from Sportsmans guide a few months ago. I misplaced it before I got to use it and finally found it today :sad2: Its probably too late so I won't worry about it.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I don't know about the freezer method, but what I have been told works is get a butane pencil torch and heat the pin. trying to break it loose, thought that is the last option ditch. I would start by spraying it with PB blaster several times a day, basically soaking it in PB blaster for days then try hammering the crap out it again.

8. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Soak in Break-Away or soemthing similar. If necessary use a torch to heat the pin before hammering it out. if all else fails, find someone with a press.

9. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Butler Creeks are good stuff, they have one with plastic feed lips and one with metal. I have yet to see any of the metal feed lips locally, they can probably be found online. The plastic ones are pretty good, and cheap. I think I got mine locally for around $15 - $20, so it's no problem to pick up several in case one or two wear out. These are most commonly found as 25 rounders.

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Was browsing the AK build section on ARFCOM and I came across another builder in my parents tiny town :bowdown: He said he's willing to help me build it and has a ton of tools.

thanks guys for the help on the 10/22 mags :wavey: