A&P Two Pictures from this weekend

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ftslogger, Jan 16, 2007.

1. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

[​IMG]
    New transit center in Charlotte, NC

[​IMG]
    Danner Family Cemetery, in Valley Crucis, NC (First attempt at infrared filter and processing).

Comments, suggestions? :noes:

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

1st one the tree is to dark, and the building is over exposed... sky lookes cool though.

2nd one appears to be underexposed and noisy as hell... did you underexpose it and then try to "push" it in PS?

3. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

The first one - the tree was meant to be dark. I metered off the building. The action I used in Photoshop also blew out the lights in the building, and I added a blur layer - so most of it was intentional.

The Second one is pure infrared light. I used a Hoya Infrared filter, and a long exposure, in broad daylight. I did nothing to get the noise - you get that with these filters. I have another version where I swapped the red and blue channels and then converted to b/w, and its a little less noisy, but its still there. I'll post that one...

4. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Red and blue channels swapped, converted to black and white (channel mixer method), a little unsharp mask, and a little glow (blur layer, opacity set really low like 30% or so)

The noise is still there - and left intentionally. Next time I am going to try setting my white balance from a picture of green grass - I hear that works much better.

5. IntheWorks

I know how a IR filter works... I've used one, but I don't understand why your getting the noise so bad, the filter won't cause it. what ISO were you shooting at?

The comp on this one could use some work anyway...

6. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

ISO 200. I'm not pushing it with photoshop - it could be that my WB is off - I didn't do a custom WB. I know the comp sucks - I was just playing around with it - trying to learn how to do IR, and seeing the effects. Its harder to do when you can't see a damn thing.

7. IntheWorks

were these shot in RAW?

8. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

JPEG Large and Fine