Two new riders, wanting input.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by KiddX, May 13, 2009.

1. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

Righto' So my buddy is buying the 09' special edition 250r sometime in the next week. He hasnt ridden before im sure it will be the perfect lil bike for him. 'm selling my Miata :)wtc:) and picking up something for myself in the next month or two depending on how fast the car sells. I will be looking for something used for ~3k, however if i found something nice for a bit more that i can finance, really im open to alot right now (really like the idea of a Sv650, or Ninja 650r) We have been lurking a bit in here and getting al ot of good info from the stickies (ty btw), i just had a few follow up questions and was hoping for some opinions. we plan to take an MSF course within the next few weeks.

When we get our bikes, i figured it would be a good idea to go to a big parking lot and get a feel for our new toys. Is there anything we should really focus on before hitting the open road? Simulating a common sticky situation and knowing how to get out of it, or anything of that nature?

Next thing, This is going to more than likely be my only form of transportation, Aside from the obvious storage limitations, what other factors should i be prepared for when DD'n a bike?

Thanks Guys!:wavey:

2. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

find a small incline to try taking off from without stalling or rolling back, until u get good at it this is where the rear brake comes in handy.

figure out what counter steering does....doesn't come into play till about right above 15mph. varies on bike.

pratice braking quickly, for panic situations.....but dont do anything stupid that will cause u to fall over or slide.

pretty much the only things i did, and praticed u-turns before heading out to the street.

3. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

+1 on u turns haha, sv650 is a pretty good bike, i currently ride one, just be sure to learn to finesse the throttle, its a little choppy at the bottom and make sure to be smooth coming out of corners, its got some torque that might throw you off

4. 7960

7960 New Member

practice how much front brake you can use and not lock it up.

5. KiddX

i was thinking of this. the front brake scares me a bit. i rode dirtbikes till i was ~12 so i remember alot of fundamentals from that which i hope will help me soon. I do remember always getting very nervous when i used that front brake though:mamoru:

6. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

MSF course, braking, clutch/throttle control :dunno:

dont forget the gear. I would assume since its a DD that you'll need extra gear for various weather conditions.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

you really need to get comfortable with this, because the front brake is where something like 75% of the stopping power is. I've witnessed (nearly) bad things when a bike had to stop and all he used was the back brake.......I stopped on a dime, and he went shooting past another 40-50' and nearly got killed.

8. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Parking lot skills FTW! You can't be good at riding fast if you aren't good at riding slow. u-turns, figure 8's, and just really slow riding in general will help a lot when it comes to riding on the streets.

9. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Modern motorcycles, you'll be hard pressed to find a bias below 82ish. Modern sportbikes by default are around 90+%-assuming you aren't waving the rear tire in the air.

10. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Try this after the MSF course. Buy a can or two of tennis balls. Cut them in half. You'll noticed the cones used in the class are small, and they stick to the ground if you accidentally run over one by compressing. The tennis balls will act in the same manner. Try setting up some of the exercises you went through in the course. No matter how much, or long you ride, always practice the basic skills. Clutch control, maximum braking, smooth throttle application, counter-steering, evasive maneuvers, and trying to make every action as smooth as possible.

The book Total Control besides being full of knowlege, has diagrams. Also, the MSF has a small PDF with layouts to setup in parking lots.

11. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

with good tires and proper brake control (ie not jabbing it) you won't lock it up, you'll bring up the rear wheel.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

sorry, my bike weighs 775lbs without me on it.

the rear tire is firmly planted on the ground no matter what I do with the brakes.

13. Junkie

sorry, I was referring to the bikes that they listed. Either one can pull a stoppie.

Also, I suspect the right rider could get the rear wheel up on your bike.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I've seen my bike in a wheelie, but never a stoppie. If you wanted to do one you'd have to go WAY out of your way. I can't see how it would happen just by jamming on the brakes, no matter how hard you did it.

15. Chiron

Chiron New Member

For shits and giggles, what is the make and model in question?

16. KiddX

Well my friend got his 250r today, he picked up the Special edition with the neato paintjob. He let me take a lap around the parking lot and... i want one:hsd:. Local place may have a used SV (spotted it form the freeway today :mamoru:) im going to to inquire tomorrow. Shit if i can get financed i might get something sooner than i thought:eek3:

17. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

18. 7960

7960 New Member

harley heritage softail

[​IMG]

It might not be impossible but I've never seen it done. If someone does do it I'm going to say the rider was trying very hard. IMO I can't see how to get the rear wheel off the ground before the front brake locks up.

19. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

You can grab an '08 250r for around $3.3k - $3.5k

I love that little bike. I'm never letting mine go if I can help it.

20. Junkie

redx

and it would require a VERY sticky front tire - probably rather different than what most Harley riders use.

21. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

Some very good tips here that I have to read lol.. I should be getting a bike soon too :wavey:

22. 7960

7960 New Member

23. KiddX

Just hAppened to be at my local place and overherd an older guy talking to one of the salesmen. He is trading in an 06 500r with 400 miles on it. After he left I asked what the shop was reselling it for, 2600. If I can get around that on a title loan for the miata (should be able to) I may pick it up. :x:

24. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

see if that shop will let you trade your miata directly too them?

25. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

i might almost wait till you get a lil better though before you get rid of your car cause it stands to be a pretty good chance you will drop it and potentially hurt yourself or the bike and i would wait till you get comfortable cause its not a fun expirience riding a bike when your in bad pain or the bikes not totally fixed