WEB Two new designs (Still WIP)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Siamo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Siamo

Siamo New Member

Hello OT

I've come up with two new possible designs for my website/blog/thing and would like some feedback. Please let me know which you prefer, what you like, what you don't like (and why) etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I like the layout of the wood one. The general scheme of the black one.

3. eof

eof New Member

Yeah the wood one with a different background (not wood) might be interesting.

Maybe try goatse as your back image? :dunno:

4. Siamo

Siamo New Member

I didn't really like the dark boxes (on the wooden one) after a while. Rejigged some of the design to give it more structure.

[​IMG]

5. gobbles

gobbles .

I'm sorry but both designs look a little too similar to other sites I've seen. When I find them I'll put them here.

EDIT: Wow, maybe even copies :hs:

First Design: http://www.alexbuga.com/
    Second Design: http://abduzeedo.com/

My advice: Continue working on that second wood design you posted. Maybe change the header colors around a bit.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. Siamo

Siamo New Member

Haha, I was looking at abduzeedo earlier this week. Guess it is practically a copy. I think it started out as design practice.

As for the Alex Buga/my wooden one, it was supposed to resemble an Ubuntu theme I saw. Guess that's where he/she might have got their idea from too.

I guess the way it's going at the moment, it is getting more unique as I add my random style changes. I'll probably change the header to a nice blue gradient (similar blue to the datestamps). I need to stop making dark layouts!

7. gobbles

gobbles .

Yeah, but there's a big difference when a designer recognizes where his "inspiration" came from and takes steps to make his design unique, instead of leaving it as it is and ignoring whoever calls his design a copy. Siamo seems like a good guy and his latest design is already looking great, and unique.

8. Siamo

Siamo New Member

Ok, so I've tweaked a few things, smoothed out some corners, got rid of the rainbow effect (it just wasn't doing it for me anymore). I think I'm now happy with the general design.

I've also decided to have another play around with the backgrounds. I like the plain wood, but I thought I'd have a play around with some effects and patterns.

Original wood:
    [​IMG]

Dark wood:
    [​IMG]

Circles:
    [​IMG]

Squiggles?:
    [​IMG]

The two patterns definately give it a completely different feel - But I'm undecided as to whether I like them or not.

9. gobbles

gobbles .

The dark wood one looks great :big grin: