Two months later, I still love this little gadget.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, May 23, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera New Member OT Supporter

Jan 27, 2005
    A couple of months ago, I picked this up on on impulse. I already had a portable hard drive, but this one comes with its own bay to plug right into my machine with no extra wires dangling around.

Two months later, it still works great. The first few times I plugged the drive in, the computer shut off. I figured out it was because the adaptor I'd made to convert the standard Molex power plug into the small floppy-drive-style plug that this uses was shorting against the case, and once I fixed that it's worked splendidly. The electrical connections are solid and I get good transfer speeds both reading and writing, and it's eliminated the one excuse I used to have to avoid doing any coding work on my pet projects after I got home from the office -- "I don't feel like digging out the USB cable and shuffling plugs around to make it fit."

Two caveats:

1. The drive bay is plastic and really only works well if you can drive mounting screws into both sides of it to keep it from trying to flex.

2. The sliding plastic bits in the drive bay move a lot easier if you take the time to drip some Tri-Flow Dry Teflon Lube onto them.

So, it's not a perfect solution, but it's the only product of its kind that I've seen that can plug into a drive bay OR use a regular mini-USB cable when you take it on the road, and applying the lube I mentioned costs about 3 bucks at a bike shop and takes five minutes max to apply it and let it dry.

If you're in an incredible rush, keep in mind that it takes just as long to install the thing, so by the time you've got the drive bay hooked up, it's dry and ready to go. Not to mention, the dry teflon lube is incredibly handy and you'll probably use up the whole bottle around the house within a week.
  2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

Jun 4, 2004
    thats really neat

When I was in japan they had these power/data kits for sata drives, they were like 20 bucks, and you just took the hardrive and plugged in the sata to usb connector and power (can't remmeber if power also came through USB) it was 20 bucks, kinda cool for drives just laying around, of course also dangerous cause no protection came for the drive (no case like an actual portable harddrive...but for just a wiring harness I thought it was trick.