A&P Two macro shots with my d80 / 18-200

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, May 26, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

A couple of you who helped me decide on my first dSLR might recall I got my D80 and an 18-200 VR a couple weeks ago. I know it's not the best lens for macro photography, but I gave it a shot with some cliched insect shots in my backyard. :wiggle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos were taken handheld with so-so overcast sunlighting. I only did some very minor photoshop adjustments. Basically a silght unsharp mask and a minor contrast adjustment, and crop.

Anyway, I've got a question. Here's a 100% crop of the eyes in one of the pics:
    [​IMG]
    On some bug macro shots I've seen taken with dedicated macro lenses, you can actually see the individual eyes that make up an insect's compound eyes. My two shots here don't quite capture that level of detail. Could I have achieved better results with a tripod and proper macro lighting? Or is this just the macro limit of my 18-200 lens? Or do I just suck and failed to achieve proper focus on the eyes? I did shoot autofocus after all, heh. =\

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

That's weird there's so much sharp detail in the wings, but you can't see the compound eyes. Doesn't really look like a focusing issue, either. :dunno:

3. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

^

Uh oh, something isn't wrong with my camera/lens is it? :noes:

4. El Chupacabras

El Chupacabras Blue and Gold Member

use a tripod and manually focus, concentrating on the eyes... if you want to get extremely macro you need a macro setup, but i think you already understand that. It just doesnt look like you focused on the eyes

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

background colours are cool

stop down to more than 5.6, do you have a speedlite? you might need it.

6. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Thanks. All I have is the on-camera flash, which I didn't use for these shots. And although I used autofocus, I did make sure the AF sensor I had selected was over his head. Methinks it's just the limitations of the lens. :dunno:

7. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

18-200 lens does a lot of things very bloody well. but if you're looking for ultimate resolution for macro shots you should get a dedicated macro lens.

8. Devin

Devin New Member

It's probably the aperture .. I just recently talked to the top 15th macro photog in the world at a meeting for work Friday . He normally uses f16 to even 22 !!! For his macro shit .. and he explained exactly why ...this picture shows exactly why. Small objects like this ..needs a very small aperture .

Though he also has 2 flash heads on a L bracket above his camera which helps the f16 and lighting thing .

9. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

yeah, with macro photography you need to use a much higher aperture than you would normally think of.

those images all have insufficient DOF... a common issue when you're just starting out. Use a smaller aperture and get plenty of light on the subject :)

10. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Ok, I'll try that next time. I'm fairly sure it's also the lens though. As you said, for the utmost resolution, I just need a better macro lens.

11. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

first try and then bitch on the lens, now you're doing the opposite.

this lens will make better than you think if you use proper technique.