Two Connections

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, May 14, 2006.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

It possible to run two connections together these days? I have a DSL and a Cable line, one stays conected another is pppoe

2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ive never seen it.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I would think you could just need a way to mesh the two together because both would take different routes

just my guess I dunno really

4. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

the question is why would you want to?

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

why not? One doesnt work half the time is why I have two high speed connections, thought what the hell why not connect them together someway

just a thought :dunno:

6. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

A few years ago I saw some Dual WAN routers start appearing, but I haven't really heard anything about them recently. They were pretty pricey at the time. I think they were $200-$300. It would basically split the load between the two connections. So let's say your cable and DSL are both 1.5Mbps/256Kbps. It won't let you one session at 3Mbps/512Kbps, but some of the Dual WAN routers had the ability to open two connections automatically (mainly for HTTP connections) to achieve a faster overall speed.

Here's one such review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/network/103/1/

There's probably a way to set up a similar system in Linux if you cared for a cost-efficient alternative.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

There are two ways to do this:

Connection Bonding:
    Two physical connections to the internet are "bonded" into one virtual connection. You can sustain transfer rates on a single "connection" equal to the sum of the bandwidth available between all bonded pipes.

Connection Teaming:
    Two physical connections are available, and the router will select which is best-suited on a per-connection basis. Each connection will receive only the available bandwidth of the pipe it is using, however, you can have one connection per pipe with no apparant slow-down.

There are many consumer-grade products available that meet your needs. Linksys seems to have the most cost-effective commercial solutions, at this time. This is also possible with a linux box, but is not particularly intuitive to configure.