Two channel or multi channel ... that is the question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Jun 7, 2002.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

I'm in the process of setting up a music/HT system for my bedroom. It's pretty good size (roughly 10' x 13'). I've already got a nice 32" Sony Trinitron (older, pre-Wega), a Nakamichi AV-10 receiver, and a Nakamichi DVD-15 (doubling as a CD player). I watch DVDs occasionally, but I know I'll be watching them more often when I get my whole system set up. I also have a PS2 and will be getting a Gamecube in the next few months. Right now I'm torn as to whether or not I should go multichannel in this small room or just go with a better-sounding 2 channel steup?

My plan for an HT setup is a Paradigm PDR-12 sub, Kef Q1 mains, Q9C center, and Q8S surrounds mounted to the wall behind my daybed (doubles as a couch :) ).

However, I find myself listening to a lot of music as well, and I'm wondering if it would be better to ditch the Nak in favor of a stereo preamp/amp (or integrated amp) with some nicer speakers like the Seas Excel Odin Mk3 kit (MTM speaker w/ a pair of 6" magnesium woofers and 1" "millenium" soft dome tweet).

Cliff notes: Will I enjoy DVDs and video games as much with a nice stereo steup in my 10' x 13' bedroom rather than a multichannel setup?

2. 04

04 Guest

I would say go with the stereo system for the bedroom. I assume you have another home theater setup in the living room? If so, I dont see any reason for needing two hometheaters. The Playstation and Gamecube dont even output a dolby digital stream for games, so you wouldnt need surround for that unless you really wanted pro logic. The only thing you would need surround for is for movies, but you would probably play them in the other room, right?

Also, did you ever get a chance to compare the expensive preamp and amplifier to a reciever? Could you tell a difference? Did you do the test double blind?

3. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

I chose to go with a 2-channel in my old bedroom and also attempt to build a decent HT for the living room, and I found that trying to build two systems is more of a PITA than I imagined. Sometimes I think that were I to do it all again, I would just throw it all at one hell of an HT that could effectively double as a 2-channel, but I also know that when I am done I will have two systems to be proud of rather than one showpiece system.

As a 2-channel guy, I know you will appreciate a nice preamp/amp combo powering whatever source you decide to run through it, there really aren't too many receivers that I have heard (save for those costing $$$$$$$$$$$) that will yield comparably clean sound.

I guess as with anything, it's how much you're willing to spend and what kind of sound you want that dictates the ultimate game plan.

4. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

The PS2 does actually have a digital out, but there are only a few games in DD 5.1 (one I know of is Metal Gear Solid 2).

Unfortunately, my bedroom is the only place with good a/v equipment in the entire house. :big grin: I've offered to pay for a surround sound setup in our family room, but they won't go for it.

Haven't done the double blind test yet, but now that I'm considering just a stereo setup, a stereo preamp/amp will be much more affordable.

5. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

I'd go multichannel. With the growth of multichannel music (SACD and DVDA, even regular music DVD's, or DTS DVD's) you might as well prepare for the future. Also, now that Dolby and the Xbox have enabled real time in game 5.1 sound videogames should be going multichannel as well.

So I'd say get a good multichannel amp and a decent preamp. You'll likely not need to upgrade the amp anytime soon but when this whole DVDA and SACD thing starts rolling you can just upgrade the preamp and you're set.

How much are you looking to spend?

Andy

6. 04

04 Guest

Well Since you dont already have a multichannel system in place, I would have to agree with Andy. I was under the assumption you already had a home theater system. You are probably under the same predicament as I am. I currently live with my parents (I am only 19) and must put all the audio equipment in my room. We have a Dvd player and TV downstairs, but it doesnt have multichannel. If you dont watch very many movies though and listen primarily to music, then again I would reccomend the stereo system. I see no reason for multichannel audio reproduction as of now. Others surely have other opinions, but when I say stereo, I want it to mean 2 channels. :cool: