GUN Two Brothers charged with death of 1 thief and wounding of 2nd

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 3, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fuck that cocksuckers got what they deserved to bad they didnt kill the second piece of shit. Only charges if any these guys should face should be if they were shooting in a populated area.
    http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewer=storyviewer&id=27635&cat=HOME

Two men accused in ATV thief’s killing turn selves in
    Lionel Torres (left) and Richard Torres
    Last Update: 09/02/2006 2:05:50 PM
    By: Todd Dukart

The owner of an all-terrain vehicle allegedly stolen by a pair of Valencia County men is now charged with chasing and shooting at them, killing one.

Richard Torres and his brother, Lionel Torres, turned themselves in at the Torrance County Courthouse in Estancia.

Originally, it wasn’t clear if the Torres brothers would be charged in the shootings, but when the district attorney decided to charge them, the pair turned themselves in.

Richard Torres is charged with manslaughter and faces up to 15 years in prison. His brother, who’s charged with accessory, faces up to 12 years.

According to the criminal complaint, the brothers caught Michael Lucero and Larry Montoya stealing Richard Torres’ ATV outside his home in Mountainair. The brothers gave chase to the pair, with Lionel Torres driving. Seven miles later, in the village of Abo, Richard Torres allegedly shot at the pair.

Court documents say 24 rounds were fired from an assault rifle.

Lucero was shot in the back and killed. Montoya, who was shot in the leg, is recovering from his injuries.

“It’s a very tragic situation because a young man died,” said the brothers’ attorney, Chuck Aspinwall. “Everybody regrets that. My clients are very remorseful.”

But prosecutors say the seven-mile chase was the difference between a justifiable homicide defense and the charges the pair face.

“This is not a case where the suspects who tried to steal the four-wheeler were caught on the property,” said District Attorney Clint Wellborn. “There was a chase that went on for several miles.”

2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I hope those guys beat it but honestly they could have just kept following the guys until the cop showed up. If the guys on the ATV would have started shooting at them then they would have been justified to shoot back. That really does piss me off and if they didn't put anyone else in danger then the charges should be dropped.

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

really shouldn't chase. When you chase, you have no legal defense for a justified shooting.

If they get away, let them go - call the cops, collect your insurance. Be glad that everyone made it out alive.

Now if someone was killed in the robbery, I can totally understand that.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As long as they weren't putting any innocent people at risk I have no problem with what they did. I hate thieves especially bike thieves. If I caught someone trying to steal my shit I wouldn't call the cops I'de give them my own justice.

5. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Oh don't get me wrong - I think that guy got what he deserved and I hope they get a slap on the wrist or nothing at all. I'm just saying LEGALLY, it's a really bad idea.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would not of done what they did if they were off my property and not posing a threat to me I would try to follow them, not sure if they just took off on the quad or threw it in a vehicle in which case I'de get the plate # and get on the phone with 911. But if there on my property and I'm able to secure them, I'm not calling the cops, but they'll be guests in my garage for a little while :eek3:

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

They should have just followed until the cops showed up. Unless the article is leaving out that the thieves pointed a gun at the guys or something.

8. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I surely don't blame them for what they did, but I think it was a stupid thing to do. They were certainly risking their lives to some extent by giving chase, and if they didn't do that, they'd have their insurance money and their freedom right now. :(

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

UPDATE

Saturday, September 9, 2006

Brothers charged in August shooting of Valencia County man

Beth Hahn Mountain View Telegraph

A Mountainair man faces manslaughter and other charges in connection with the shooting death of a Los Lunas man last month in Abó.

Richard Torres Jr., 25, of Mountainair is charged with manslaughter, shooting at or from a motor vehicle, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and tampering with evidence related to the Aug. 12 shooting death of Michael Lucero of Los Lunas and shooting and injuring Larry "Loddy" Montoya of Belen.

Torres' older brother, JoeLionel, 30, is charged as an accessory to manslaughter, an accessory to shooting at or from a motor vehicle and an accessory to aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

The brothers turned themselves in to authorities at Estancia's Neil Mertz Judicial Complex on Friday after State Police issued a warrant for their arrests.

According to court records, the brothers were awakened to the sound of a pickup hitting their Mountainair mobile home as two Valencia County men allegedly attempted to steal the Torreses' ATV in the early morning hours of Aug. 12.

As Lucero and Montoya tried to back the pickup into the Torreses' yard about 4:30 a.m., the passenger side of the truck hit the mobile home, according to police reports.

A criminal complaint filed in District Court by State Police investigators states that Richard and JoeLionel, along with their father, Richard Torres Sr., and a teenage brother followed the pickup in two cars.

Court records indicate that Richard Torres Jr. took an SKS assault rifle with him and fired several shots at the pickup as the vehicles drove west on U.S. 60 toward Abó.

One witness told investigators that one of the gunshots blew out a back tire on the pickup, forcing the vehicle into a ditch near mile marker 198 between Mountainair and Abó in Torrance County, according to court records.

Once the pickup stopped in a field along Camino De Aragon, another witness told State Police that he saw a man get out of one of the cars and fire three or four gunshots at the pickup, the records state.

The same witness told investigators that someone inside the pickup began yelling "Don't shoot, don't shoot," to which one of the occupants of the two cars replied: "(expletive) you, I told you to stay away from my house."

The men in the pickup were then ordered by the men in the cars to walk toward the two cars, the witness said in the criminal complaint. The teenage Torres, whose name was blacked out from court records, began administering CPR to the passenger from the pickup while another man went to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Police and other emergency personnel arrived a short time later, but Lucero was pronounced dead at the scene. Court records say he was shot once in the back.

Montoya, who allegedly drove the pickup during the chase and shooting, received a gunshot wound to one leg and was flown to UNM Hospital for treatment.

Officers found 11 bullet casings in the ditch and field where the shooting took place, according to the police report. The pickup, according to the report, had 18 bullet holes.
    Montoya told police that he and Lucero had planned to steal an ATV on Aug. 12. Montoya said he and Lucero started the night by shooting up methamphetamine at least twice before noticing the four-wheeler at the Torreses' residence in Mountainair.

The ATV was going to be traded for the stolen pickup he and Lucero were driving that night, Montoya told police. After the pickup hit the mobile home, Montoya said he and Lucero became paranoid that someone in the home would call police, so they left the ATV behind and fled toward Belen, according to the report.

The two men turned off U.S. 60 for a bathroom break, and when they resumed driving on the highway, Montoya saw a white car driving the opposite direction and heard gunshots, the report states.

Montoya told investigators he tried to speed up to get away from the white car, when one of the rear tires blew out and the pickup slid into a ditch, court records state.

By this time, another vehicle had joined the chase and the gunshots continued. Montoya told police he got the pickup out of the ditch and drove into a field.

He then noticed that Lucero had been shot and was having problems breathing, Montoya told investigators.

Montoya yelled at the occupants of the two cars to stop shooting, but one of the men replied that the would-be thieves had "(expletive) with the wrong people" and he saw one of the men had an assault rifle.

Court records state that Montoya then got out of the pickup, tried to get Lucero out, and asked the Torreses to call 911, but one of the men replied "this is on you."

The criminal complaint says Richard Torres Jr. told detectives that Montoya or Lucero waved a pistol at him and fired three shots at his vehicle. Investigators did not find any weapons in the pickup Montoya and Lucero were driving.

Police found six bullets left in the SKS magazine, which indicated that 24 shots were fired during the incident, court records state.

When questioned by State Police about the shell casings found in the ditch, Richard Torres Jr. told investigators he did not remember shooting at the pickup once it stopped in the field on Camino De Aragon.

Richard Torres Jr. was originally charged with an open count of murder, but District Attorney Clint Wellborn said the charges were amended during Friday's arraignment.

"(Our) office was going to file an open count of murder, but the judge would not sign off on that," he said in a phone interview Tuesday.

When asked why the judge would not accept murder charges, Wellborn said he did not know.

"You would have to ask (the judge) that," he said.

District Judge Kevin Sweazea, who presided over Friday's court hearing, could not be reached for comment.

State Police spokesman Lt. Juan Martinez said that once evidence is collected, whatever charges are filed are usually left up to the district attorney.

"It's pretty much out of our hands," he said.

Martinez said he could not comment specifically on the Torreses' case because he was not aware that the charges had been downgraded.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

sigh... don't steal stuff and this wont happen. though I would not do what those guys did. I'd be happy none of my stuff was stolen and leave it at that.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have no pity for the 2 thieves couple worthless dope fiends got what was coming to them.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

too much work to chase them down and kill them and too dangerous (and illegal). especially if they didn't actually get to steal from you.

It doesn't bother me at all that the guy was killed though, except that he made such bad choices in life.

13. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That's how I feel about the situation. I don't sympathize with the thieves one bit and they got what they deserved but those guys that chased them made some bad decisions and could have handled it a lot better.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You know I don't feel for the the crooks but at the same time I don't want people riding around dispensing justice in the form of executions either. Work within the laws and the justice system or you'll get to experience it first hand.

15. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

They didn't steal from them, but they did damage their house. This kind of relates to something I say alot when I'm angry, (mainlyin traffic). I've always said that one day people are going to cut off, insult, try to steal from, etc the wrong person and they're going to end up dead. I just hope that others learn from it.

16. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

/thread

I hate thieves and think they should all DIAF, but the statement above pretty much sums everything up

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: they forgot one important thing

[​IMG]

18. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I need to make a high rez printout of that and post it in my cubical.

19. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

HA, my dad carries a rambo type knife in a plastic ziplock bag under his seat, no prints on it. just in case he needs to "throw it down":hsugh: i guess its better than the .38 he had with no serial # so he can throw it in the river. fckn' nut case lol.