Tweeter position in the car?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mzmtg, May 27, 2003.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I've got Eclipse 8062 components in the front of my Maxima. Currently, I have the tweeters mounted just above the mids and angled upwards towards the occupants. I did this under the theory that components sound better whenyou keep the tweeters close to the woofers.

Would it be worth the effort to move the tweeters higher up? I could put them up by the mirrors on the doors or up on the A-pillars.

Opinions?

2. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I went ahead and moved them up to the sail panels on the doors. This is going to work better for me, I think. The Eclipse tweeters are very bright. With them higher, I can turn them down all the way so they arent "too bright" but they still blend well.

3. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Being able to attenuate the tweeter volume is the key to mounting them (tweets) high up on the sail panel like that.

I tried it with a pair of Kicker K57.2 components and hated it -- but they lacked any sort of tweeter attenuation.

The CDT Classic CL-61a components I run now sound excellent in this configuration with the tweeters set at -3dB attenuation.

4. pooshda

pooshda Guest

Yea you definately want them close to each other and angled towards the sweet spot...

5. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Did you miss my second post up there?

6. pooshda

pooshda Guest

I was replying to the first post, sometimes I do that before going through the whole thread... mainly only on this forum though since the threads get enormous too fast :eek3:

If it works for you thats kick ass... tweeters that are too bright can be damn painful after a while... my perfects are somewhat like that.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

One other benefit I noticed of moving them up: The music is clearer with the windows down than it was. The wind noise doesn't overpower it so much.