tweeter distortion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mojo, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

im running a set of 6.5" polk components off the deck (27rms). probably had them for over a year and until last week, my driver side tweeter is making ugly noises...like scratching/distortion/doesnt play the highs correctly at certain tunes/volume.

it would happen randomly on certain tunes, sometimes it will work perfectly fine for a min and then the scratching would just happen out of the blue during music play.

is my driver side tweeter crapping on me? will amping my components thru the deck solve this problem?

the midranges and the passenger side tweeter plays fine, but the driver side tweeter is ugly

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You said you already amping your components through the deck, so why are you asking if you should do this in your 3rd paragraph? Most likely you blew your tweeter by overdriving your head units integrated amp, which sent ugly square waves to your tweeter. They'll need to be replaced. This time power them properly using a dedicated amplifier, set your gains correctly, and don't turn it up too high.

3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i have the amp, but never installed it yet. im trying to fix this tweeter problem before i do though.

its running off the deck power and my EQ's are set to adjust, defintely not for volume. treble is set at +2 out of +6.

4. veonake

I think it's blown. If it cracks and distorts and just overall sounds bad then it's dead. You'll need to buy replacement tweeters or a new speaker set if they don't sell them individually.

5. Mojo

Mojo New Member

6. veonake

I've heard that people like the Alpine Type-R series, I haven't really listened to them myself. It should be fine, but go listen to it before you buy. Definitely amp them, your head unit will NOT be able to drive them properly and you'll just end up blowing another tweeter.

7. Mojo

Mojo New Member

ill head out to bestbuy/cc and listen to them. im not even sure if the bestbuy and circuit city here in CA carrys the type-r components. i know they carry the coaxils though.

oh yeah, turns out the driver side 6.5" woofer is blown, not the tweeter. :o

8. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

If it originally worked OK but is now distorting, you've damaged the speaker, using a low output amp with a speaker intended to be used with much more power causes a heat buildup in the voice coil and eventually damages it. It can also damage the amp over time.

And Alpine Type-R's are pretty nice speakers for the price, I've always liked the sound of Alpines over many others in their range, they tend to be quite smooth and not exagerate certain frequencies.