tvs...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by conduit, Dec 10, 2004.

1. conduit

conduit sup

I am looking to purchase a new tv soon, as my tv right now is a bit out of date. Now im hearing alot of things on plasmas, LCD, DLP, HDTV, all of that stuff, but i have no clue what each is.
    Could someone please help me tell the difference between plasmas, lcd, hdtv, etc... and what is the best right now. I know that plasmas have around 40k hours before the bulb burns out.
    What im looking for basically is a tv (40 to 50 inch range) with clear image quality, and that is hdtv ready as i will be getting directv in a few months.
    Thanks for the help guys.

2. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Plasmas suck. LCD's ares simply EXPENSIVE! HDTV CRT's are nice for the price. If you've got the $$$, go for an LCD.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've seen some NICE plasmas. Lifetime is around 8 years of using it for 8 hours a day... That's a long time in my book. But a good plasma is $5000+

I'm using a Philips 55" Widescreen HDTV that's roxin my sox right now.

4. lgj24

lgj24 OT Supporter

Might wanna reconsider you timing...wait till this technologies settlle in a bit, prices may drop, and it should be easier to choose. In the meantime, you could get a good amount of research in for your future purchase. Don't know about you, but this seems like a major buy...i'd put some thinking into this before i make any actions. BTW...LCD would be my choice if I bought right now..good luck hunting!

5. samm

samm Next in Line

What is your price range? You can get a great 50" rear projection CRT HD ready TV for $1500. If you can spend more, I would buy a rear projection DLP HD ready TV for around $3000.

6. conduit

conduit sup

what is the difference between like a rear projection crt hd ready tv than a dlp hd ready tv, lcd,? The resolution, picture quality? Also, i plan on getting directv, and if i buy a tv that is hd ready, i can watch the channels that are in hd without buying a receiver or converter to hd?