TV tuner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bitter Moose, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

I kind of want to ditch my digital cable, and just go back to basic (like channels 0-99). The only reason I have not done this in the past is because I wanted the DVR and HD. I just moved and now I'm stuck with Time Warner. They literally have maybe 5 HD channels that aren't local affiliates (3 of which are sports). Anyway, I kind of want a TV tuner card for my pc so I can still use the DVR functions. HD isn't a priority. What I'm having a problem understanding is whether I can get all of my bsaic cable channels (0-99) with one of these cards? Is an NTSC tuner all I need to do this?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes, but NTSC will be phased out

just get a tv tuner card that supports NTSC/ATSC/ClearQAM

3. Bitter Moose

I'm going to get a $100+ tuner, so it'll have all of those capabilities. Isn't Clear QAM just for receiving unencrypted digital channels? Therefore, having only basic cable I wouldn't ever even have a possibility of getting those correct?

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

the tuner will grab anything it detects,... your tv provider should be shifting from analog (NTSC) to digital (QAM) even if its just basic cable.
    and yes, you'll only get the unencrypted channels. it varies depending on the provider, but you should be getting the broadcast stations (ABC, FOX, NBC, etc.)

5. Bitter Moose