TV Tuner Card Opinion?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Jan 23, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Opinions on TV tuner cards?

My idea is to setup my PC to accept TV signal (via coaxial cable) from a digital cable box and then send the signal back out to my TV (via DVI cable). I was thinking of installing GB-PVR if I don't like the bundled software for the TV tuner card. I would like to have the ability to record live TV, but it is not a big priority.

My system: Samsung 32" Wide HD CRT TV (was going to use the 1080i setting) and a Sony PC with P4 1.8GHz, 1GB PC2100 DDR RAM, PNY GeForce 7600GS 512MB AGP 4X, Windows XP Home (though I have a legit copy of XP Pro I could load if need be but would rather leave as is).

I was thinking about this card but don't know too much in this area:
    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 PCI Interface 1045 Tuner Card - Retail
    --(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116625)
    and I know I will probably actually get the HVR-1600 model and may need to contact customer support if I get the Vista only version of the remote.

Also, if anyone has a wireless keyboard/mouse suggestion (cheap would be better) thats welcome too.

EDIT: Most likely what I will do is use DesktopX and create a large icon theme to launch video player/etc since the TV is not LCD and doesn't have a pixel definition so I can read text easily

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I don't know what bundled software that GB-PVR comes with but you can use any software you want to watch TV with and/or capture video.

Hauppauge usually get good reviews.

Might want to look at something that supports HDTV if you're interested in that.
    I know Pinnacle is a simple USB dongle type that is coax in (no s-video or composite input, however the HD Unlimited and Pro Sticks do) and supports HDTV, I don't know if you can use it with a HD-cable box or not it might be just over-the-air HD. Nice if you want to move it from system to system and ideal for a laptop.

I've got a Leadtek I'm very happy with for the last 2-3years but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a HDTV card.

3. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

tv tuners are convenient but the quality of them doesnt justify their high prices on "higher end" models.

4. jdw

jdw New Member

IFL

My initial plan was to build a second system as a DVR box...

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

connecting coax is not a good idea. you should look for a tuner card that accepts the highest quality output that your cable box can output. hdmi/dvi or component will give you the best. second best would be s-video, followed by composite...coax is dead last for quality

6. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

I connect to mine via coax and I can view shows in HD. Mine has a clearqam tuner. I don't use a box prior to the tuner though.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

that would be one of the only reasons to use coax, to grab clearqam channels.