TV input signals

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Apr 26, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Not sure where to post this as there is a computer and an audio section, but no TV section...

Why do modern TVs come with VGA inputs and not DVI inputs. My older Samsung tube HD-TV has DVI...

Just curious if there is a reason... my understanding is that DVI > HDMI as DVI can be converted into HDMI but not vice versa... (same with VGA)

2. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

HDMI > DVI > VGA

hDMI carries picture + sound, DVI only carries picture.

MU new sony has 3xHDMI ports and a VGA one.

But because my motherboard has an HDMI output i connect directly to that :hs:

3. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

And to answer your question, i don't know :hs:

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

DVI/HDMI is used for digital video (although certain forms of DVI connectors can be used for analog VGA). The VGA input is there to take analog RGB component input from sources like a computer VGA video card. RGB is just another form of component video which isn't compatible with the 3-wire YPbPr component that you normally see coming out of DVD players.

There is no conversion between DVI and HDMI. The video data that is transmitted over HDMI is in the same format as DVI. If you ignore the audio that's transmitted through HDMI, HDMI is just DVI with a different shaped plug. So, if you have a DVI source going to a HDMI input, or vice versa, a DVI-to-HDMI cable will work in either case for the video signal.