TV in to an iMac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dmora, Aug 9, 2007.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

anyone done/played with this?

Id like to get a 24" imac and make a TV/HTPC out of it :x:

2. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

3. skolen

skolen Guest

4. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I need to get one of those tuners. :eek3:

5. skolen

skolen Guest

I only wish I had better reception. The only window I have access to for the antenna faces another building. So I have a tiny patch of sky to grab from and I get a lot of drop-outs and fragmentation in the signal. I really can't get more than 5-10min of uninterrupted broadcast at a time. But again, this is w/the OTAHD antenna, when I hook it into my cable line it works fine.

But the picture quality is amazing.

6. dmora

dmora Guest

cool... i think i mgonna grab one of these then, and a new 24" imac. :coold:

7. Dialogue

Dialogue New Member

Has anyone found an iMac TV Tuner that can actually record TWO shows at the same time?

I've searched the Internets and only came across "EyeTV Hybrid"....which isn't compatible for United States viewers. WTFF?? Halp anyone?

8. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

Funny, I'm in the US, and my EyeTV Hybrid works JUST fine...

9. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

if you don't have cable hook up in your room, or actually the better choice from what I've heard is a slingbox.

I think I'm picking one up soon, check them out www.slingbox.com

10. Dialogue

Dialogue New Member

HailStorm.....so you just bought the Hybrid from an online dealer and hooked it up no problems? I can't find any documentation on Elgato's website or any other forum that says it'll be compatible for US consumers. It's designed to work for some special type of tv signal overseas that we don't have in the US. What cable company are you recording tv from?

And yes, for my background: I'll be hooking up my current digital cable tv to my iMac. I never owned a mac before so I've been searching for tv tuners this week and have been pretty disappointed in the options so far.

bye: I'll read up on slingbox tonight. thx.

any other suggestions guys??

11. skolen

skolen Guest

Not all areas have an "over-the-air" Digital or HD broadcast. So you may be limited to the analog "fuzzy" reception.

The prior gives you HD quality video through the provided antenna. And mine works perfectly fine.

12. Dialogue

Dialogue New Member

i'm a little confused here.... i'm merely just going to screw my cable cord into the tv tuner....what do i need the antenna's for? i don't have satellite cable...i'm on time warner with a cable socket coming out the wall. so the hybrid wouldn't work for me, right? what cable company do you use?

13. skolen

skolen Guest

I never tried plugging it in right from the wall. I get about 20 digital stations w/the antenna, most in HD.

I use Comcast and it requires the box to get anything above a certain amount.

14. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i have an eyetv hybrid. its the shit.

15. Dialogue

Dialogue New Member

well, my main goal is just to find a tuner that allows me to record two shows at once to my HD. otherwise i'd just go for the regular eyetv tuner. with the hybrid, you can record 2 shows at once right? and if i'm plugging it in the wall i guess those double antennas are essentially worthless to me.

16. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

no, with the hybrid you can only record one at once, in order to record 2 at once, you would need two tuners.

17. Dialogue

Dialogue New Member

bah...i only reason i knew about the hybrid is because on a google search it says it's the only Elegato product that can record two shows at once. this almost makes me wish i was still back on my pc. finding good third party crap for apple is frustrating. so i would literally have to buy two eyetv tuners just to do this? :dies

18. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

seriuosly, look into the slingbox. Basically you plug the cable hookup from your cable box into the slingbox then back to the TV. You can access your cable TV from any computer that connected to the internet via wifi, and use it on windows mobile or palm smart phones, via wifi or 3g networks.

19. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

we have a slingbox i dont like it.

20. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Really? what don't you like about it, because I'm very close to buying one...

21. Dialogue

Dialogue New Member

Yeah, I'm with Xenon. I read up on Slingbox last night and not only does it not solve my original question in ANY way (needing to record two shows at the same time) it doesn't even record video at all. Not only that, it's streaming video quality. puke. Anything you watch off that thing would resemble like a YouTube video. Pretty worthless, imo. For a pc, you can just get a tv tuner and get crystal clear video straight from the source. For other gadgets, I would just get a downloaded video of whatever I wanted to watch....not really sure what your intentions are for using this thing my man, but the Slingbox looks pretty terrible to me personally. Thanks for the heads up, tho.

22. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

Yup, bought one online (ebay, actually), and hooked it right up. Comcast cable. The overseas signal type is PAL, whereas in the US we use NTSC. I checked the Elgato website, and I see what you mean. I also just tested my unit, and it works JUST fine. Strange.

23. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i think its pointless.

reason being, its streaming video, so in order to be able to stream at a decent quality, you need a somewhat fast internet connection.

if your somewhere with a decent wifi connection, chances are there are TV's there you can watch.

if you want to watch tv using like a verizon wireless card, the speeds arent fast enough so the video quality sucks

the only good part about it is being able to access your DVR recordings from everywhere in the world, but even with that, the IR recivers pretty much suck ass, which makes it a pain in the ass to try to watch tv in the first place, or access your DVR.

just my experience.