TV - anyone else catch The Texas Ranch House shows on PBS this week?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Foo Lyn Roo, May 5, 2006.

1. Foo Lyn Roo

Foo Lyn Roo New Member

It's part of their Hands On History "House" series. Like the Colonial house and 1800's house and frontier house etc.

I'd love to discuss it with people and get their views.

2. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I found it interesting.

Anyone else think they have a tough time getting 21st century people to go along with 18th century mores? I love in both Frontier House & Texas Ranch House the women dump undergarments pretty fast.

The flies were so gross!

3. Foo Lyn Roo

Foo Lyn Roo New Member

Yea, the first one I saw was the Victorian one, and in that one, the producers I think often reminded the ladies that their full clothing was a must.
    I can't believe that the girls and mother ran around in what was the equivalent of underwear in front of the ranch hands.
    How is that experiencing history?
    I have huge problems with alot of the people , especially the Cookes. They kept saying they were to reamin their 21st century selves. Doing so totally skewed any "history" they may have experienced.
    I also love how the one daughter, indefense of the garden says "well we don't eat vegetables, we didn't know what they were or they were ready to come out"
    First of all - they trained them, and gave them books - all which they abandoned after the first day.
    Secondly - the mother later went on to say they DID utilize the garden, and provided the cowboys with fresh vegetables everyday.
    I think that is a bold face lie, one by her daughters ommision and two by the lady who vistited's own eyes.

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Did anyone else find is weird that there were no guns anywhere? I don't think I would feel safe herding cattle in rattlesnake country w/o a firearm.

Yes, I do think the Cookes came in with the wrong attitude. I would have missed my 21st century luxuries.

5. Foo Lyn Roo

Foo Lyn Roo New Member

I read some transcripts of two chat conversations with a few of the cast members and a producers, on the washington post webiste.

The Producers said that there was no way that they could put firearms into the works because they wouldn't have been able to get an insurance company to cover it then, or something like that.