LGBT Tuxedos

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ballerman230, Mar 19, 2005.

1. ballerman230

ballerman230 just a pale blue dot

Hey guys, I lurk The Closet a lot and you guys generally give awesome clothing advice. I have prom coming up and I want to get something besides the ordinary tuxedo. Any ideas?

2. knucks

knucks Active Member

ordinary tuxedo. maybe a "modern" one, but tis all. by modern I mean one that is cut shorter and slimmer, etc. go to a local tuxedo rental and see if they have one. i HATE people that wear white tuxes, or pastel-colored ones. stick to the classic.

3. ballerman230

yea, lol, my date already explicitly revoked my right to wear a white one.

4. Praetor

Praetor Guest

5. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

:wiggle: I took the liberty of checking out a tux rental site for some examples. If you're looking to move away from the traditional bow-ties and all that stuff, there are a few ways you can go...

This is kinda cool, but a little too "Matrix" for my personal liking. It might work on you though.
    [​IMG]

This style's sorta Asian looking with the ring collar. When I went to prom a few guys wore these. Some pulled it off better than others. Once again, try it on and see if you like it.
    [​IMG]

This is my favorite. It's a compromise between tradional and modern. It's called the Button Notch. Unfortunately, it's not flattering at all on this model. The cut is entirely too wide for his frame and it's working against his body rather than complimenting it. But you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

The bottom line is, try everything that catches your eye on and see what fits you best and what you'd feel comfortable wearing. Blacks and charcoals are the safest colors. Oh, and Knucks mentioned something about the cut being slimmer and shorter. He's right. You don't want something that's going to make you look like you're swimming in it. If the shoulder padding makes you look bigger than you should, than it's probably too large. Good luck!

6. ballerman230

I have an extremely narrow body. My chest is 33 inches and my waist is 28 (I'm 5'7, 115 pounds), but I've never seen a suit cut smaller than a 36. The last suit I bought was a 36S (http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=146260&CategoryID=13599&LinkType=EverGreen)
    and the shoulders just look gigantic. Is there a way that can be altered?

7. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

I really hate the Nehru collars. Just don't look right.
    For both my high school proms, friends voted me best dressed.
    Junior prom (which shouldn't even exist, but I digress) I had a relativly standard tux. The trick was having a red vest with a gorgeous pattern, and a red tie. Red looks good on me.
    Senior year is when I went for it. I was planning to buy a three piece suit...
    [​IMG]
    But they ran out of that fabric... :grumble:
    As that one shows, I was going for a modern zoot suit.
    I wound up finding a place to rent from. I had a classy longer jacket with longer lapels, longer (but fit, not baggy) pants, a fedora, and two tone shoes. I refused to wear chains, they looked tacky. If you are looking to buy...
    www.zootsuitstore.com has some excellent suits/tux's

Oh, and I drove a Corvette to Senior prom. That sealed the fucking look.

Oh, this matters. Do you want a tie? Bow tie? Lil button?