GUN turning 21 soon. have questions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dranian, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

i don't know that much about guns but i know a little bit. anyway i turn 21 next month and have been trying to decide what type of gun to buy. i've been thinking about the STI tactical, or maybe the STI eagle 6.0 in either .45ACP or .38 super.

however i'm going to want a suppressor and i was wondering if i can get the barrel threaded on most guns or are there only certain types that can be fitted with a suppressor?

Also what are your opinions on the guns i mentioned? if you don't think highly of these guns, please feel free to reccomend something better for me. i like 1911 style guns, lightrails are good, threaded barrel, drilled/skeletonized trigger/hammer, low recoil, at least a .38 super caliber. i'd like something accurate, reliable, stylish, and i'm willing to pay for quality.

also, where can i buy high capacity magazines. like a 170mm 20 round .45 cal mag. or a 170mm 27 rd .38 super magazine or something close to that capacity? i checked gunbroker and a few other sites to no avail.

i've been looking around and reading gun magazines, i've shot a few friends guns trying to see what i like but i just don't really know where to look. STI guns seem to be the best that i can find but if you know anything better please let me know.

i have 2 guns already a browning and a ruger, both in .22lr so its not really a "whats a good first gun" thread. i kinda know what i want but i just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

so please help me out.

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Let me ask you this? what do you plan to do with this gun?

3. Dranian

Dranian (..)

shoot at targets mostly. when i get a carry permit it'll probably be a carry gun.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

Unless you're shooting competitively I dont see why you would want a 6" 1911 or a .38 Super, nor do I see why you would want 20 or 27rnd magazines for a pistol. :hsugh:

5. Dranian

Dranian (..)

well i like the look of a 6" 1911, .38 super is not really important i was just considering it. and the high cap mags are just convinient, i'd like to get the most shots possible between reloads.

6. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

supressor for target shooting?

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Ok, going to probably burst your bubble here. Supressor is going to cost you more than a decent gun and honestly, not worth it for the dollar to fun factor. A 6" is worthless for a CCW weapon and .38 super will be more expensive to shoot unless you are reloading. STI makes great guns, but unless you are shooting competitively, you can find better all around pistols for alot less. 20 round mags for a single stack are worthless.

Recommendation for what you want to do with it:
    HK USP 40 or 45, XD .40 tactical, Glock .40, Springfield or Kimber 1911 5" standard.
    the XD and Glocks come with rails standard and the .40 is more than enough for your needs. (9mm is a fine and dandy defensive round so consider that too) if you go 9mm, you can get either with 15 round mags.
    Springfield and Kimber are also making rail models and you can get the loaded ones for about half to 1/3 of an STI.

If you are insistant on a supressor, then you will have to get an aftermarket barrel no matter what you are looking at (unless you go with a SOCOM HK USP)

Before buying any though, best two things you can do would be to find a range that rents pistols and spend some time trying different models and ask questions from experienced shooters on forums, stores and ranges.

8. Dranian

Dranian (..)

nah the suppressor just for the hell of it.

EDIT: and i just knew somebody was going to say that. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  9. Dranian

Dranian (..)

yes i plan to do that but i just figured i'd post on here first. you recommended a kimber and i was considering that gun but i think i like the sti a bit better. the cost isn't really a factor.

10. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

wow thats a big jump from .22lr to 45acp or .38 super ,let see you want a sti in 45acp or .38 super with threaded barrel and supressor for a first gun? uh you going to get flame hard for this one.the only people who buy STI or people who shoot competition or people who just want to waste money and yes some of them come with threaded barrel but its for compensator.if you want something in a 1911 form accurate out the box just buy a Kimber TLE RL II

11. Dranian

Dranian (..)

yes it is a jump. and its not really a first gun. and everybody says they're mostly for competition. but i think its a good thing that they're competition quality. i would assume that means they're highly accurate. or am i mistaken?

12. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

accuracy depends on the shooter not the gun.they're competiton guns cuz they come with all that extra stuff like trigger work,site,magwell,ect just extra stuff you paying for you can take a regular 1911 and do the same thing,also you got to remember competition and combat are two different things.sti/sv is more like exclusiveness only people who owns them are uber rich people or people who like to spend money

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

they are accurate, but a great 1911 for half the cost is just as accurate. STI makes standard 1911's which are good carry guns, but the 6" models are for racing. They have hair triggers, mag wells, and are not good for carry.
    Not saying STI isn't good, but from what you said you plan do do with it and your level of experience, it's overkill. Your money, but you asked for experienced opinons :)

Buy a Kimber or Springfield. Use the money you saved for ammo, holster, firearms classes, safety glasses and ear protection, good range bag, and instead of trying to one up your friends, know that you bought a very well made pistol that does the job and can outshoot you.

14. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

les baer
    wilson combat
    ed brown
    kimber

these are quality custom 1911s out the box sti are just overprice imo

15. Dranian

Dranian (..)

hmm i like your explanation. thank you for your help.

16. Dranian

Dranian (..)

thanks everybody. you all definately helped me out alot. i'll take another look at Kimber and springy 1911s and then maybe with the money i saved throw on some aftermarket parts like new grips, maybe a threaded barrel, and i'll get a nice holster and stuff.

i appreciate all the input very much and thanks for not letting me make a mistake and waste money on a gun that's overkill for what i'm gonna use it for.

17. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

You dont need a supressor. Your not james bond.

18. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

fixed.

if you're going to be a cunt, learn how to spell.

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Agreed!

Suppressed .38 super? 6” hi-cap 1911 for carry?
    You have some strange ideas about what makes sense when it comes to firearms.

20. Dranian

Dranian (..)

And if I was I'd be getting a walther p99.

21. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You could practice drawing with one of these:

[​IMG]

22. Dranian

Dranian (..)

EDIT: phone posted twice

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  23. :rofl:

24. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Ok well I no longer want the 6" .38 super. But I'd still like some high capacity magazines. Maybe not for use all the time but sometimes I think they'd be nice to have. Only I can't find any 170mm 20rd high-cap mags for a 1911 anywhere.

also since everybody is commenting on the supressor I should mention its not that important to me. just a novelty that I felt like getting.

25. Dranian

Dranian (..)

so now that i know what not to get, and all the reasons not to get it. what should i get? somebody said Kimber TLE RL II and that seems pretty nice to me. any other opinions, is this the best kimber, should i look at some other 1911's? should i do a search for threads with the word 1911 cuz other people have probably asked this before?