TurboMemory?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 29, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I was just looking at a fantasy laptop build on www.sagernotebook.com, and they're offering 2GB or 4GB of Intel TurboMemory. IIRC, Tom's Hardware did a test a while back and figured out that the improvement from TurboMemory was minimal if you have enough RAM to start with, but I'm curious if anything's changed and/or if Windows 7 is going to use it to better effect. Anyone heard anything about this lately?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i don't think there's any big change
    probably the same as Vista's ReadyBoost and shit

TurboMemory basically makes it internal, instead of using an external flash stick

worthless if you have a kick ass SSD anyway

3. notladstyle

notladstyle New Member

turbomemory caches the most frequently used files from your hdd so that their access is much faster.

If you have a very fast SSD or hdd, this is useless since the access time is the same or better than the turbomemory.

If you have 4gb + of ram, this is useless since the extra ram is also drive cache (and much faster than turbomemory)

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I know how it works in concept, though I think putting it inside gives it better bandwidth (there ARE more pins on the internal cards, after all), I was just wondering if anyone's run any tests on Vista and W7 rc1 to see if W7 rc1 can squeeze any more performance out of it.

An SSD is clearly the way to go if you can afford it, but if I were to buy a laptop at this point I'd have other things I'd want to spend money on than a big fast SSD, considering how expensive they still are. $50 for a few GBs of high-speed FLASH is much more practical, assuming it actually does anything.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

all i've seen are people struggling to look for drivers

and those who did it the old way (external flash memory),... didn't find anything special