Turbo diesel Vs 16V

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Haggard, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Haggard

Haggard VW crew

Hey

Im looking into getting a MK1 Vw (rabbit) and was wondering if there was a huge differnce in power between a Turbo diesiel and a 16 Valve. i know deisel will be good on gas but i dont want the car to be slow as hell though. so if anyone has experiance between the two, please inlighten me

2. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

3. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

I've owned a built 16v.

2.0 block w/ a 1.8 head.
    cams/springs/retainers yada yada

It's a fun little motor that you're going to have to rev the fuck out of the get power. Mine was in a Jetta Coupe, So I'd imagine in a first generation rabbit, it would be exceptionally quick. I'd love to have another 16v.

As far as the diesel is concerned. If it's the 1.9L found in third/fourth generation dub's, with a chip/injectors/front mount you'll be pushing around 300 wheel lb/ft. Torquey sum-bitches.

4. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

I had a '91 GLI with the 2.0 16v. It was fun, weighed nothing, handled like a beast. But I drove a friend's up-soluted tdi mk3, that had suspension mods, chip/fmic/injectors, and I was sold.

I wanna do a TDI swap into a cabrio :run:

5. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

I have the turbo diesel, used to have 16v GTI and guess which one is more fun?

The diesel! Its a freakin joy to drive. Nothing but (slightly modified) stock parts and I can still do 0-60 in less than 10 seconds. My car can be considered slow in some aspects. For instance, 0-60 time seems to take longer than my GTI did, but in retrospec, probably the same time. THe diesel has a lot of usable power all throughout it's rev range. Cruising in 5th at 100km/h and you have instant torque without having to downshift.

When you start tweeking diesels (I dont mean modifying), they start to shine. If you have forced induction and knowledge of injector pumps, you can start cranking that boost and turning up the max fueling until you find an optimum level. Keep in mind that tuning diesels will not negatively affect gas mileage. You're just increasing it's power limit.

6. Jackanapes

Jackanapes turbodirectinjection OT Supporter

Yeah what Diesel Fumes said... :bigthumb:

7. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

:cool:

links to more info?

8. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

if your swapping in a MKIV TDI motar than go for it without a doubt, but a rabbit diesel from the 70's or early 80's guarantee's you 0-60 in 1 minute... they are slow as fuck...

9. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

my 91 diesel took 39 seconds according to this thing I put in the cig lighter. Slow as fuck :rofl:

10. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

lol its because the doctors of engineering at VW thought it would be a good idea to take a gasoline engine block and slap a diesel head on it... fucking idiots...

11. DuncMan

DuncMan New Member

there is a guy with a turbo kit on his desial and he run 12s in the 1/4mile and get 50mpg

12. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

yeah, 300tq but you stil lrun 16's cause you cant put it down:mamoru:

i miss my (2.0) 16v dearly, and the cars are light enough that, no, you dont have to rev the fuck out of it to get moving. they have plenty of midrange

13. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

I guess that depends on what your defenition of moving is. :hsd:

14. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

well dont take it out of context, no matter what we are still talking about volkswagens here :rofl:

15. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

My 16v felt more like a go-kart on crack than a car. Autotech Sport Cams/Titanium retainers/HD springs, full exhaust, 4k trans., gutted A/C, 2.0 block/1.8 head. The car was quick and made a joke of first and second gear, but I would choose the powerband and resonancy or the VR6 anyday. FWD or Haldex, there are plenty of dubs around town here that would run circles around a lot of vehicles.

I <3 VAG :wiggle:

16. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Turbo Diesel is a blast to drive. I drive the E320 CDIs at work any time I can.

0-60 in 6.6 in that heavy thing. 369 ft-lbs, too. ( And stock FMICs)