Tuning frequency and resonant frequency

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by terminator1010, Dec 18, 2002.

1. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Can someone help me understand this. Tuning frequency depends on the length and diameter (area) of the port(s) right? Should the tuning frequency of your box be the same as the resonant frequency of the sub? How do I figure out the tuning frequency for a box?

2. 04

04 Guest

:)

Hey Swartzwelder, what have your experiences been with tuning the system below the driver's resonance?

3. 04

04 Guest

:cool:

I just finished building an EBS enclosure for my 1803, 14cuft tuned to 18hz. The driver's resonance is at 25hz.

As for tuning at fs, I don't quite think thats how it works. But, I totally agree with the fact that if you do tune a bit below fs, it increases extension, and above fs, it gives you a peak. I think it depends on the system Q to whether it is maximally flat tuned at fs. Vented alignments are still a bit of a mystery to me. I have read that section in the LDC, but it stil seems to ellude me a bit. The cookbook doesnt really cover the tuning at fs, or EBS alignments at all for that matter. Sealed is all good though. :)

4. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Wow, 14 cuft. That's massive. How does that sound?

5. 04

04 Guest

Pretty good. The speaker needs that big of a box anyways for an EBS alignment.

6. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

What type of car is this that has a 25hz res frequency? Must be a small as car, and why such a big enclosure if the res frequency is so low. Im quessing this must be a sq install :dunno:

7. 04

04 Guest

OOOOPS. I forgot to mention that my subwoofer is located in my house. Its not the car, but the driver (the speaker) that has a resonant frequency of 25hz. Usually if you want a lot of low frequency output, you need a large box, plain and simple.