Tuning 165v Focals

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have my focals tuned to 80 htz is that about right?

I sometimes get a crack in the speakers does anyone know what that would be caused by. If I use the radio I dont hear the cracks but with the cd player (burned cd's 192bit) I do. The hu is an pioneer deh9300

2. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

DUH!! 192kbps MP3s... hmm... I wonder where that's coming from... :slap:

How many people do you think go into high end audio shops to demo stereos with MP3s? None, because it's a crap format for any real listening. MP3s are compessed... a lot. They sound like shit when played on ANY decent system. Download a song or two of which you also have the matching original CD, and compare the sound. ;)

3. 04

04 Guest

I beg to differ....

No one has conclusively proven that there is an audible difference between a PROPERLY ripped and encoded mp3 and the original source. The mp3 and PCM will measure differently on a waveform analyzer, but not to our ears. Granted, you have to know what you are doing, however, when you rip the mp3s. Ask LOUDSYSTEM about the mp3 I made of Hotel California. I find it to sound flawless, and I am sure he would agree.

4. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

i am with 04 on this one i listened to the eagles hotel cali song he ripped and compared it with the cd i have and they sounded the same on my hd600s. The sq out of the mp3 was amazing but again like he said theres plenty of 320kb mp3s that still sound like shit it has to be done correctly

5. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

I guess so....

but for some reason I'm thinking that you guys would be the same kinda people who "can't hear the difference" between cd and vynl. :dunno:

Also, like you said, they're never properly ripped... sooo... where does that leave us? :fawk:

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

first off vinyl>cd

i've got a CD-R with 3 thomas dolby songs from "aliens ate my buick" that i use to test/tune stereo systems at the shop, it's done properly. if you know who thomas doldy is, you know how cleanly produced his music is and in MP3 format it's still better than most CD's produced today.

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

do you have an amp, or just using deck power??? at high volumes, do you still have loudness turned on???

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

The deck is a deh-9300. Its got a Rockford amp (I believe) 600watt. The cd's arent axactly mp3's either. They are wma files. The deh9300 cant play mp3's. I got a hu that didnt because I heard the sql is higher in HU's that dont play mp3's. :dunno: I dont care really I just rip all the mp3's to wma and that works for me.

I have loudness turned on if that makes any difference. It doesnt matter if I do have loudness turned on though b/c I happens wheather I do or not. If I turn the stereo system on it sounds great no matter how high I turn the volume.

9. 04

04 Guest

I hear the difference between cd and vinyl, and I prefer the cd. Maybe if I had a 20,000 dollar record player and my records were in FLAWLESS condition, I would like them better, but as it stands now, the cd's kick the shit out of them. ;-) Even then, I doubt I would like the record's more....

They are never properly ripped on kazaa or irc or anything, because most people don't care that much. There are a few private networks that trade only high quality rips, but they are rather hard to gain access to.

I just rip my cd's so that I can play them straight off my computer.