Tundra to topple GMC Sierra? - Left Lane News *pics*

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ronin, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Toyota is apparently on track to sell more of its Tundra pickup trucks than General Motors will sell half-ton GMC Sierra 1500s. Historically speaking, two-thirds of Sierra sales are the lighter-duty 1500 models and Toyota has sold more Tundras in the first half of the year than GMC has Sierra 1500s.

[​IMG]
    Although the Sierra has always been a relatively small player in the full-size pickup game - at least compared to its Chevrolet cousin, the Silverado - it has consistently led Toyota in sales. Toyota has seen considerable success with the 2007 Tundra and for it to have taken over one of the domestic players is indeed big news.

Toyota has sold 97,290 models of the all-new '07 Tundra since January 1, 2007 and GMC has sold 115,185 Sierras. Historically, however, two-thirds of Sierras are 1500s, the Tundra's real competition. By that measure, according to PickupTruck.com, Toyota has sold more Tundras than GMC has sold Sierra 1500s in the first half of the year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

They should just eliminate GMC Truck all together. I don't understand why GM needs 2 trucks to do the same job.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

is the GMC nicer at all though? like the mark LT/f150

:hsughno:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, the Denali is considerably nicer. And unlile the Mark LT/F150 (whose differences are minor cosmetics) the GMC Denali gets a beefier and signifigantly more powerful powertrain in addition to exclusive AWD and cosmetic distinctions.

As to the Toyota vs. GMC comments..... All this proves is that Toyota has built up a great reputation and consumers know this. Unfortunatly, Toyota has produced a truck that is inferior in quality and strength. That frame is a fucking disgrace when put to comparison with the F150 and GMC.

Time will tell if consumers continue to sackride Toyota when much better products exist.... GMC needs to wise-up and put the 6L90 in it's half-tons already.... Then there's no reason to get the Toyota.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah toyota is rocking hard on their rep, and i respect their company but i dont really see anything worth getting in their line up, 200k reliability? oh well, i dont really give a shit as that would take me so long to hit id have the car sold or destroyed by then, im a project car kind of guy, if im not getting a 60s/early 70s vehicle to mod im going to want something with a lot of attitude, fun factor and distinction or at the very least balls to the walls performance and thrashability, something toyota doesn't give me

its kind of like how teenagers like to buy a lot of abercrombie and hollister, their clothes are lack luster and no better than anything else but that shit is popular, just like toyota

lolz

6. IslanderOffRoad

the top trim chevys get just as nice.

i'm just saying there's no point in having 2 vehicles that are near fucking identical doing the same thing.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

agreed

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree, but if they're gonna get rid of one, they should KEEP the GMC styling. I like it much better than the Chevy. You can brand it as a bow-tie, but the front-end needs to be like the GMC. The bed on the Chevy is nicer (has a bulge that makes it appear more agressive).

9. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Because GM is obligated to supply GMC dealers that have existed for almost as long as GM has itself. That's why.

It cost over 1 billion to phase out Oldsmobile. That's why brands like Mercury and GMC still exist.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all part of the "shock and awe" marketing campaign. However, actually looking at the truck you can see where it is NOT built to last.

That frame is fucking disgusting. And 30,000 engines recalled for defective camshafts... well, that doesn't put much confidence in their all-new powertrain, now does it?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, owned a tacoma, and i own a tundra.... Not at all biases having previously LOVED their products and then having been screwed first-hand by their companies new initiatives and seeing more of the same with their new products.

On the other hand, my parents were screwed first-hand by GM and now that I look at them, they have appologized and are working to remedy the situation. I respect that.

12. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

that is a really sad article. Sounds like something ESPN would pull out. "and today joe smith broke the record of most bases stolen on a wednesday in dome stadiums against left handers."

First they go up against one of two badges that GM sells then they reduce it again to just compete against the half tons ? :wtf:

Here are the real numbers
    tundra year to date (july)
    105,990 (even the tacoma is beating the tundra)

GM (silverado and sierra)

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the tacoma has alway beaten the tundra. That's why there is almost never any incentives on the tacomas (and when there are, they're very small) and the tundras always have incentives. Even their "new" and "exciting" tundra re-design has already been given incentives.

14. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

That's the equivalent of reading an article on the success of democrats in the Post or conservatives on Fox News. It's obviously inflated and worded in support of Toyota. I've been shopping around alot lately, just waiting for things to come together and have the money for a new truck. I've looked at all of them except the Silverado because I couldn't stand to look at that bow tie every morning. I have, however, looked at a Sierra, and I'm damned impressed. So much so that I like it more than the Tundra in just about every facet.
    Oh, and if Toyota wants to be a real serious player in the US truck market and not just a "oh hey that's cute" manufacturer like Nissan, they need to get a Tundra-2 or TundraHD or something with a FULLY BOXED FRAME and get serious. Triple frame technology :rolleyes:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, triple-frame is a fancy way of saying that the front NEEDS to be boxed and we cheaped out everywhere else that we could.

fucking marketing faggots.

16. IslanderOffRoad

it was a stupid idea to begin with.

they had GMC truck, why start selling Chevy trucks?

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

chevy was the working-man brand and GMC was intended to be the "white-collar" brand. However the brands became muddled when they sold mostly the same product for so many years.

18. IslanderOffRoad

I dont think it was meant that way initially. They went that direction in the 60's.

The most luxurious one in the mid 50's was the Chevrolet Cameo.

19. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

How stupid can you be?
    You obviously are biased, and take every opportunity you can to heap as much malice as possible on them.
    Classic disgruntled customer. :rofl:

There haven't been ANY engines recalled for the camshaft problem, never mind 30k.
    I don't even know if any have actually broken yet. I know we haven't seen any.
    And correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Ford and GM trucks have at least partial C section frames up until several years ago?
    I know there's alot of them still around. If they do have the C section frame it sure says alot about how long it can last.....

You really should pull your panties out of your coochie, wash out the sand on your clit, let it air out, and consider relaxing a bit over a perceived slight you received in the past [I'll cover this in a minute].
    If you like something besides a Toyota, good, nothing wrong with that. I know Toyotas aren't perfect. I've got plenty of complaints.
    But you just make yourself look like an idiot when you ramble on the way you do.

If I remember correctly, you had a problem with your Tacoma and they wouldn't warranty it.
    I don't know exactly what happened, or if you really did have a problem, but if your perceived problem and how you carried on about it was anything like how you carry on now I am not at all surprised your claim was rejected.
    I see lots of people that have problems that Toyota covers no problem.
    I also see people that cause the problem [broken mirrors, broken covers, bent tie rods, damaged doors, lack of oil changes, half assed repairs, aftermarket parts, ect] that get all pissy when Toyota won't cover damage they caused.
    I also see people that claim problems but that cannot be duplicated.

I don't know [or really care] which group you fall under.
    You just look stupid yammering on and on about it.

Ever seen the vid of the 06? Cadillac CTV? on streetfire where the owner had reoccurring problems with the car, ect, ect?

ANY company has people they have screwed over and ones they have taken care of.

Get over it.
    Don't buy Toyota again if you dont' want to.
    Just stop being such an ass about it.....

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

So you're part of the faggot group that gets mad when someone expresses their opinion and then backs if with fact?

Yea, makes you look reaaaaaal good :rolleyes:

Engines HAVE been recalled. And some HAVE broken in-service... That's why there was an uproar about it.

As for the C-channel frame comments, are you fucking retarded? Congrats, Toyota competes with trucks that are 10 years old. Big fucking whoop. Since when was that anyone's excuse and since when was that ever okay? GM was ridiculed for YEARS for competing with "yesterdays" trucks. Now Toyota does it and you think it's okay? Fucking sackrider.

Once upon a time we used 2-speed auto trannys. Why did we stop? Because more speeds gave better use of power, and better fuel economy. But in your mind, toyota could release a 2-speed auto and that would be okay, because "everyone used to do it". Your gimmicks are lame and tired.

21. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

:laugh:

Careful, you're showing your lack of intelligence again....

Here's your recalls....

Clean Record - No Recalls for the 2007 Toyota Tundra

From
    http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2007/toyota/tundra/recalls.html

As for the C channel frame, are you sure it was only 10 years ago that US trucks used it?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you not wanting to buy or own a Toyota. However there's a difference between stating that and your yammering on your soapbox because you've got a hair across your arse....

One tip, it's always best to CHECK your "facts' before you post up.
    It helps keep you from looking like an imbecile.

More making fun of you later, I've got to run.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

23. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

So like I said, no recall......

And 20 is still a long way from 30, 000.
    Even if you use your math....

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

20 actually failed in the hands of customers. That's a lot.

30,000 were made in the defective bunch.... so there is signifigant concern that they will have problems in the future.

25. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

So
    You've come a long way from

To

But you're still an idiot.

20 failures out of 200,000 [that's roughly how many they plan to sell]?
    That's .01%.
    Or, if you want to go with the 30,000, it's still HALF a percent.
    I guess that's a lot in your math?

Oh, and for the record, the problem isn't the specs Toyota created, the problem is the camshafts WEREN'T made to the specs Toyota created.
    Not exactly a fault of Toyotas.
    Unless we're using your math again.....

Oh, and signifiCant is spelled with a C, not a G.

Any more stupidity?