LGBT Tuesday, October 7 is the 10th Anniversary of Matthew Shepard's murder

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Sam Gamgee, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

What does his name invoke in you?

I came out of the closet about a year before his murder. For me, Matthew Shepard's murder was the catalyst for an amazing time in the gay right's movement... it was a time when gays and lesbians from around the country stood up and said "Enough hatred and violence against gays! We're not going to let this happen anymore."

He became our poster-child for equality and the civil rights movement. His murder coined the term "hate crime" and the legislation against hate crimes.

But, now it's ten years later and a whole new generation of gays and lesbians are around... and I'm wondering what you think of him? Do you relate to him? Is he just a symbol or is he a person to you? Do you know his story or have you just heard about it?

2. Sam Gamgee

A link to an advocate story about the events surrounding his death:

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid62771.asp

An excerpt

3. I remember hearing about this when I was a young kid. At the time I did not really understand what was going on...I guess I was 9 or so. All I knew was someone got killed because they were gay. I didn't think of it much at the time...I never thought I would be gay, it seemed absurd to think that at that time.

I would like to know more about his story though if anyone has videos/articles about it. This could happen again, anytime, anywhere, if you think about it...

4. Sam Gamgee

just search "matthew shepard"

You'll find all you need to know.

Rent "The Laramie Project" movie.. it's great.

Visit www.matthewshepard.org
    That's the site that focuses on the organization Judy Shepard (Matt's mom) founded and runs.

5. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

i'm pretty much the same as pen...
    i must have been like 8 when it happened, i remember very vaguely it was on the news. thats all though.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Good movie.

7. I believe I have seen The Laramie Project as a play now that I think about it.

I may have to download the movie. :o Is it very depressing or could it be something for the BF & I to watch?

8. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

:werd: It's an amazing movie . . . I shall watch it today

9. Elusid

Elusid New Member

I don't remember it actually happening but my former step dad directed "The Laramie Project" and brought it to our regional theater festival which includes Wyoming. I never actually watched the whole thing, just snippets from the rehearsals

10. Apparently movie piraters don't like the Laramie Project. hmm...time to go more torrent hunting.

11. Oh and can anyone answer this?

12. [y]awTx8iBm4u8[/y]

:(

13. Bib-Lettuce

Bib-Lettuce New Member

Personally, atm it's all the same for me. I don't think of Mathew as a symbol or anything, his murder fills me with the same unquenchable hatred as any violence again gay people. Well all people but gay-bashing hits me specially hard because I can relate to it more.

14. Sam Gamgee

It's sad...

15. Got an e-mail from the Gay/Pride/GBLT/whateveryouwanttocall it center today actually saying they were having a booth/area of remembrance today. :eek4: I should go check it out, chit chat with them.

16. Was biking to class and talked to the :greddy: people @ the Gay Pride booth...right next to the Obama booth. :hsugh: Lots of pictures, short stories and stuff that taught me some shit. The people were kind of annoying though, the girls were fine, one of them was cute, but the guys were all way too :greddy:...