Tube amp people...help needed.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JeremyD, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

So I'm in the market for a new tube setup for my digital media. I already have my main listening area setup (in progress I suppose), but I'm looking for something to compliment my pc since realistically this is where I spend most of my time. On top of that, I have a large array of high quality digital music so it makes sense.

I originally planned to just do a simple tube or hybrid headphone amp with some mid-grade cans, but I've got a really nice set of bookshelf size speakers I'd like to use as well (MTM design with hivi midbasses and ribbon tweeter with a beyma horn loaded super tweeter). The drawback to these is that their efficiency doesnt exactly lend them to use with a typical SET type amp (around 89db 1w/1m). So I've thought about doing a hybrid setup to get the necessary power (I'm thinking 30-50w/channel) to make them move., or a beefy full tube setup. But in all my searching, most of these just seem overpriced for what they are. I've recently stumbled upon a few japanese/chinese setups from yaqin, bewitch, music angel, ming da, etc. I know there are a good number of japanese audiophile grade tubes out there, but how are these designs? I obviously have no hands on experience with them. Something with a headphone out after the preamp stage would solve my headphone issue, and still allow me to use the amp section for the bookshelf setup. Maybe I'm asking for too much???? Any help would be appreciated.

2. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Yeah...so...no input.

But I've decided to go with the dared mp-5. It's a combo usb DAC, tube headphone amp, and integrated hybrid amp (13w/ch). It doesnt have rca out for preamp use, but it's easily modified for use as a pre-amp, and I can feed it into a higher powered solid state amp. Seems to fit the bill pretty well.

http://www.daredtube.com/