TTAC - Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Aug 3, 2009.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

[​IMG]

By Jim Sutherland
    August 3, 2009

Over the years, I’ve attended thousands of “old car” shows. At the most prestigious of these events, eligibility rules are clear, consistent and cast in concrete. Meanwhile, at the bottom end, the cars on display have grown to include brand new Chevy trucks and late model imports. As long as it has four wheels, it’s in. What kind of twisted logic allows a post-millennium car or a brand new truck to qualify for a car show when some poor schmoe who put thousands of unpaid hours into his ’57 Ford has to park away from the show in a dusty parking lot? I know: times are tough. If you want to shoot ducks, go where the ducks are; the money’s in the mods. But once again, we’re looking at an auto-related industry where the relentless pursuit of short term gain threatens long term survival.

Commercially, the lack of temporal quality control is lethally short sighted. I know of one show that takes place in a small town of 5000 people that routinely brought hundreds of cars and tens of thousands of dollars into the community. Over the years, they had a few bad weather weekends. As classic car owners don’t like to risk their ragtops to the slings and arrows of outrageous hail, the weather “inspired” the organizers to lower the bar and raise the gate.

Suddenly, dramatically, you saw a shift in the show’s philosophy.

At first, the show dedicated a side street to newer mini-trucks and cars-with obscenely loud sound systems. The peaceful family affair was turned into a cheap carnival overnight with moronic, pounding crap loosely called music dominating the atmosphere. A formerly peaceful summer day, once a benign, positive celebration of the car, became yet another example of hi-tech audio torture.

Not to go all get off my lawn on you, but the change came complete with what’s called a punk-ass attitude. Hats were turned around or tipped to the side like Gomer Pyle’s at the gas station in Mayberry. We lost a car show and gained a hip-hop Woodstock.

Needless to say, the show fizzled. It’s now a fraction of its former size. The revenue dipped to catastrophic levels; turns out the“hats worn funny” guys with the hellish music turned up to 120 decibels don’t like to spend money on restaurants. Or hotels. The best they can do for the local economy: pick up a case of beer for the trip home.

The guys that used to go to this event set up show-and-shines closer to home where the greed factor isn’t an imperative. Something was lost at that point because the show in the small town was always unique. The town was full of old main street buildings that readily lent themselves to that trip down memory lane.

This trend continues to spread. And I’m not happy (in case you missed it). I don’t care if these new car drivers worked ten jobs and every holiday to pay for their tricked-out Accord or brand spanking new Silverado—they still have a bog standard vehicle, not a Boss 302. Come back when you restore a notchback ’66 Mustang with a three-speed manual and a six-cylinder motor. Or similar.

Enthusiasts who are living in new car world have shows every day of every week. They’re called dealer’s lots. Or parking lots outside the Higgly-Piggly. I know I speak for every car owner in the free world when I ask for a hard-line adherence to the 25-year rule. In other words, bring that 2009 Mustang back in 2034. Until then, leave it in the dusty parking lot outside the show because you haven’t paid any old car dues. You’ve simply taken on monthly payments for a soulless clone made out of 90 percent plastic. That hardly qualifies as earth-shaking (although the sound system might), and it leaves you outside the fence in the “real” old car world.

It’s an unarmed fence. But don’t be surprised if somebody snaps at some point and unloads a few rounds of 12-gauge buckshot into a Honda with a brutally loud sound system at a so-called old car show. I’m not advocating violence, but I am saying that when worlds collide, bad things happen. Alternatively, hopefully, a little dignity and respect go a long way.

[Read more of Mr. Sutherland's work at mystarcollectorcar.com]

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

So instead of blaming the show organizers, he is blaming the car owners?

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Sounds like this guy is just an elitist prick. There is plenty of validity to newer cars being in shows, since the time and effort invested in modifying them is just as much as what many classic car owners put into their rides. Should they be in separate shows? Perhaps in some cases, but not as a universal rule.

Look at the Woodward Dream Cruise, for goodness sakes. The atmosphere is just fine there, and it's basically "run what ya brung" as far as what is shown/showcased there. Even the auto manufacturers themselves show their heritage cars alongside the latest concepts.

I understand if this guy doesn't appreciate modern cars or the customization of them, but there are just as many people out there who DO appreciate late model customs. I appreciate both, and also fully recognize that in both the late model AND classic car crowds, you'll always be able to find some things that are distasteful to you, and other things you absolutely love.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:werd:

5. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Jamphat would be sad to read this

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

we get a a handful of new rides, out of the average of 1k rides at the local car show... some are cool, some make thye owners look like tools... but hey, if you're proud of it, then you should be able to show it off.

there's another area car show... where they limit it to anything 25 years old, and older... and it's not as big of a deal, as the one we have in our town.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Not that I agree with the article necessarily but I wanted to address your Dream Cruise comment that kind of ties in with it.

This year will be my 11th year, it's a celebration of classic American cars and the culture and music of the 60s that went with them. New American muscle cars like Challengers and Ford GTs and ZR1s are all over the place and people love those too.

But there are far too many people clogging up Woodward with nasty lifted trucks, little rice rockets covered in Asian grafitti blaoring obnoxious music and rental Tauruses and Impalas full of gawkers. It would be nice if that were limited somehow.

The event and people are there for the classics and modern classics parked and driving up and down Woodward. Instead each year there's more and more Silverados and F-150s going up and down Woodward revving their engines with guys drinking beers in the back.

No elitism, but I haven't traveled to Detroit for the past 11 years to see that.

8. vgeek

vgeek New Member

It does make sense. The Cavalcade of Customs has been the same way the last few years. Some of the cars there shouldn't be there. Noone wants to see your 2001 Bonneville SSEi. Sure, its supercharged, but that doesn't make it special. The 25 year rule seems good, but a production numbers/price threshold could work. If your car is less than X years old, it must cost $Y. That way newer, nice cars such as the Corvettes, Ford GTs, and Vipers are still allowed to enter, but the Integra, Civic, and 240sx's all stay home.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

I can't completely disagree with you there... I definitely have seen some vehicles that have absolutely no reason for being mixed in with the crowd, but I don't think they should be totally left out of the festivities either. If the people who like that kind of stuff want to have an area to show their ricers, donks, and trucks I say let them. The "main event" however I do agree should be limited to classics and "modern classics" in some way.

A couple years back, when I had my TBSS, I met up with some other guys with them and we went cruising on Woodward.... there were no complaints that I ever heard. People were actually giving us thumbs-up if anything. I would imagine the same reception will be had with your G8 GXP.

10. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Special is subjective. To the guy who spends his hard-earned money and time keeping his car in show condition and friends with similar cars think they are special. With your logic, it would be ok for domestic performance cars to be in the show but it wouldn't be ok for a potentially highly modified import that an owner spent thousands of dollars and countelss hours modifying to be in the show. Makes sense. :ugh2:

11. CJPA

CJPA New Member

The only thing I hate about "new" cars at car shows is when a literally brand-new car that's just a week past delivery takes top honors at the show.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

I wouldn't care if it were a ZR1 or something like that.... but otherwise yeah that's BS.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Holy shit, did he actually work a Hamlet reference into an op-ed piece about cars?

Anyway, I don't think the 25-year-rule is really the solution to the problem; I think each owner needs to submit a CV of stuff they did to their car. If you actually did a bunch of work on it yourself, and it's a well-rounded package, come on in. If you dropped it off at Urban Motorwerks for a week to get fitted with dual-24's and neon, go park in the visitor lot. The 25-year-rule is an easy way to filter out the people who haven't put in the requisite blood/sweat/tears into their car, but it leaves out plenty of people who've built newer cars that are equally admirable.

Now, if the stated point of the show is "show off the old car you saved from the junkyard", then yeah, you kinda have to keep the newer cars out of the way no matter what.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  14. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

So is the criteria cost, HP, overall performance, personal preference?

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

at our local car show the tools who bring brand new cars, don't come back the next year unless they have a car that should actually be there... for some reason they all seem to realize that new cars are just a novelty... first it was the pt cruisers, then the new beetles, then the ssr's... even the guy with the ford gt only made it one year, and the next year there were 2 kit gt's... mustangs, camaros, and challengers will always be popular...no matter what the year.

16. BlazinBlazer Guy

Umm, so you mean that isn't the criteria for ALL cars in ALL shows? If I'm at a show and asked to submit a vote for best-of-show of course I'm going to look at the vehicles in terms of performance/power, appearance, and personal preference.

Unless we're talking about a show that judges vehicles based on a points system for originality (factory correct restorations.... like an NCRS event for example) that's just how car shows work. Well, that and guys that bring out their cars and have their friends all go vote for them just so they can win the prize.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think the problem with a new car getting Best-of-Show at a car show full of older cars is that the effort reflected by the new car's appearance isn't the owner's effort, it's the factory's effort. With an old car, if it looks good and runs well, it's because the owner made it look good and run well. If the owner's effort isn't taken into account in something resembling a consistent manner, then a brand-new Lamborghini could win hands-down at every car show no matter how good the older cars look.

18. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

You are missing my point. The comment was "I wouldn't care if it was a ZR1 or something like that". So this person is saying that it is ok for a new ZR1 to win an award but not something more common like maybe a new Camaro.

Why?

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

I never said a new Camaro couldn't... I'm just saying there's a big difference between a week old ZR1, Camaro, etc. and a week old Toyota Tundra, Chevy Cobalt, or something like that. See what I'm getting at?

20. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

No I don't. What is the difference between a new ZR1 that someone has spent a shit load of time detailing and a new Tundra that someone has spent a shit load of time detailing? Is it simply because you like Vettes more than Tundras?

21. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

So its the price tag that matters? A $100,000 car should win over a $20,000 car that had a thousand hours invested into it?

22. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Amen!! Someone else undestands what I am saying!!

:bigthumb:

23. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

i fucking hate when igo to a car show and see a bunch of 1st gen camaros, cudas, chevelles, etc. then some dumb fuck has his 2009 ford mustang in there :ugh2:

24. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Why? If the show is organized correctly (classes), it shouldn't matter who else is there.

When I had my '93 Mustang, I entered more shows in the first year than I did after that. Keep in mind in the first 2 months I installed a Procharger, Saleen front air damn, '92 Z28 rear spoiler, wheels, full set of gauges and had a bunch of underhood parts painted, chromed and polished. Not to mention I cleaned it to within an inch of it's life which was a PITA since it was my daily driver and sat outside 24/7.

I'm sure I prepped my car 10 times longer than guys pulling up in garage/trailer queens so why shouldn't I have been in the show?

25. BlazinBlazer Guy

I do get your point, believe me. I'm not only a professional detailer, but I'm a detailing enthusiast to a huge degree. All I'm saying is that if I see a Tundra sitting next to a ZR1 at a car show, and both brand new and detailed to the hilt, yeah I'm going to vote for the ZR1 over the Tundra. Is there something fundamentally wrong with that?

That's not even the point of the whole debate, anyway.... so how about we get back on topic here?