**TSL Computer/Wifi knowledge crew**v.sign in

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Phlab, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

Yeah this is erroneous but I can't make this in the main forum.

I have a dilemma on my hands here - There is a PC and wireless router in the apt. Apparently the wireless is supposed to be working right now (works for the PC) I usually don't have problems connecting to wireless networks with my laptop. This is WEP encrypted (I believe) and I have the password. I think I'm getting a connection (it's sending packets my way) but I don't receive/process them. I can't fetch an IP address from the router or whatever, and the "repair connection"/ip force thing doesn't work either.

Halp me tsl frienz

2. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

Your PC is connected to the router wirelessly or via ethernet cable? If its linked in by a cable, then there's a chance your wireless is messed up. My old Linksys router was no good for wireless, but we were all able to wire into it and get a signal.

If your PC is connected wirelessly and your laptop can't get online:
    -If you haven't already, restart your laptop.
    -If your computer shows you 'connected' but you can't get on websites or anything, try changing your wireless settings. There are different types of 'network authentication' that you can probably choose from your wireless tool- open, shared, WPA, etc.

Are you getting an error when you try to 'repair connection?'

3. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

reset button, unplug the router, pay your internet bill

usually one of those fixes it

4. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

:)

It looks like the PC is connected to the Router via Cable, and the router is connected to the wall.

I've tried the different authentication methods, I'm 99% sure it's WEP and the other types haven't worked.

I am getting an error when I try to repair my connection - I can't fetch an IP from the host.

thanks for the help!

5. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

This is all set up at an apartment I'm staying at in London with one other brazilian guy. And his broke brazilian ass naturally doesn't have a laptop so he looooves using the computer that's here. I'd be ok with sharing but I do a lot of work online (4-10 hours daily) so I'd realllly like my laptop to work with this wireless network

6. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

7. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

Hm, you said your laptop doesn't usually have problems connecting to a wireless network so you probably don't need to reinstall your drivers.

I think the next option is to see if your wireless functions even work. If you can, get someone else's laptop and try to connect using the same settings/password as you did with your laptop. If it can connect, then you know its something with your computer/settings. If it can't, then its probably a setup issue with the router.

Connecting to your router:
    -plug your ethernet cable into your laptop and make sure you have internet access
    -open up a web browser and type in the IP address of your router. a lot of routers use default IP addresses, so try these first: http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
    --if neither of those worked, click start > run and type "cmd" once the small black window pops up, type "ipconfig" and whatever the "default gateway" says is your routers IP address, i think
    -type that into your web browser and you should get a page for your router
    -user is probably admin/administrator, and there should be no password. if you dont know the user/pass, im not rly sure what to do :dunno:
    -once you log in, there should be 'wireless settings' or something to that effect somewhere
    -click that and remove your password and change your shit to "open" just to see if you can connect to it at all
    -save, exit, reboot router/laptop, and try to connect again. if you can connect, then you know it was an issue with the setup, and you can try different settings/passwords until it works. if you can't connect even when its open, then its probably an issue with your router, if you know your laptop can connect elsewhere without any problems.

i'm not an expert or anything, that's just what i would try first but i'm sure there are better ways of fixing this. if you cant get it working, id ask the dudes in the computers subforum :hs:

8. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

Thank you so much for the info bro!

The wireless router obviously has a broadband-in for the wall->router, and an ethernet out that was plugged into the (functioning) PC. I took that and hit my laptop with it, and it works.

I tried surfing those IP addresses, as well as 192.168.1.65 which I think I pulled from somewhere else while trying to get onto this router, none worked.

So I tried the cmd->ipconfig.

It lists an autoconfig IP address, a subnet mask, and for default gateway, it's blank. I'm assuming this means the router is busted.

I noticed that the router has 2 ethernet outs, so I'm gonna buy another cable to see if we can both be online at teh same time

thanks again!

9. Suazo

Suazo New Member

is your laptop a Mac or PC?

my cousin has a Mac and he couldn't connect to my router because i had it encrypted as a WEP, i changed it to WPA and he was able to connect.

Another issue could be that the router is outdated so you might need to download the latest firmware, contact support.

10. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

PC. I'm poor son

Interesting on the firmware, the router does look kinda crusty

11. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Try changing the key method for WEP from Shared to Open (or vice versa)? :dunno: