GUN trying to zero in

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pimp Cat, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

well i posted this on AR15.com

but i decided to get all your imput as well

well today i went to the range

well at 25yards i put 10 rounds right though a 1inch circle

at 50 yards it had a pretty spread out group and high. prob about 6 inches across

at 100yards they were really high and pretty speratic

i was using wolf 55grain rounds, and a leapers 4x20 scope

so my question is. am i using too crappy of ammo? do i need to step up to a higher grain round? scope issues?

thanks for any help

2. Furner

Furner New Member

its probably the wolf, i use my american ammo for accuracy situations. i would go get a box of 55 or 62 gr and try again

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

zero with whatever you plan on using all the time. if you want to use this rifle in any sort of defense application, zero it with defense ammo, like M193 or Q3131A. then just plink with whatever.

if you're not making groups very well, part of it is the wolf. the other part is you.

i believe AR15.com has the directions for the 200 meter zero. that's what i use, because in my area, i'm not going to engage out past that, because there isn't any place in the open for more than that distance.

oh, hell, i just realized you're zeroing with your scope. are your iron sights zeroed right?

4. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

well im having no problems getting a tight group at a close range. its just when it starts getting further out that group starts to get spread out

i think im going to try some better ammo

and dont know about the iron sights. never messed with em. i think i will have to do it once i get some more ammo

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i think it should be your primary concern, those iron sights. you should become proficient with them first. then fuck with the optics. optics are a crutch, no matter the skill level of the shooter. if you're a poor shooter, they keep you from ever becoming a good one. if you're a great shooter, they make you seem even better.

either way, you never want to depend solely on optics. i don't even want to depend mostly on optics. right now, i depend none on optics. they are my very last concern. zero your rifle's iron sights, then spend the time with the optics.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It's difficult to rule out user error when using optics.

If you print the same groups using iron sights, it will be easier to narrow down the causes to you or the ammo. And using Wolf, i can assure you, part of it is ammo.

7. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

sweet. thanks guys.

ill tweak with teh iron sites when i get some more ammo