trying to write a research paper

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Steve325, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I am trying to do a report on drug abuse in sports, but I can't really brainstorm on what I should talk about. It's an argumentive essay

any ideas?

2. Titus

Titus New Member

what exactly about drug use in sports are you trying to argue?

3. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

tryna get to yooooooooooooou and dat booty

tryna get to yooooooooooooou and dat monkay

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Your topic is way to BROAD

5. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

What aspect of argumentatie writing is it over? What kind of argumen (rogerian tolman etc)? You're def gonna wanna narrow it down quite a bit. Maybe choose a particular sport and possibly a specific drug or drug type bc drugs and sports is like an umbrella the size of Tx damned near anything can fit under it.

6. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I want to argue against the use of it in sports. Although it's not truely how I feel, I beleive it would be much easier to fight it this way

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Ok so its really a persuasive argument, good(i hate arg writing too many diff types). Im guessin by "the use of it " you mean performance enhancing "drugs" right ? How specific does ur prof want you to be ? bc even performance enhancing drugs is still a huge ammount of shit but if you don't have to be overly specific u CAN use performance enhancing agents as a blanket statement tho I really wouldnt suggest it. Then again if ur anything like i am ur just tryin to write to the style of the prof to get the fuckin A.

8. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

id stick with one sport, you will be able to find tons of research on steroids in baseball obviously, too overarching a thesis is a problem many beginning and even advanced writers make

have a specific thesis
    use specific examples
    form a specific view point and don't be wishy washy back and forth, professors hate this

use a concession statement, but not to show why the other side has a point, use it to show why the other side is wrong

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

yeh just do baseball mang, easy essay

10. Titus

Titus New Member

yea baseball is easy to do. talk about the use of steroids and amphetamines.. tons of articles on them

11. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I would say its much easier to argue FOR the inclusion of performance enhancing drugs.

- Only hurts yourself (physically i mean, not in terms of performance) use Mill's arguments here
    - PLayers are pushed past physical limits in many other ways in sports that is detrimental but legal thereby that argument is hypocritical
    - its going to happen anyway because no way to test, creating an unfair playing field (so to speak)
    - allowing everyoen to use them evens playing field
    - why not just admit we live in a drug culture in every other way and we're only lying to ourselves to say its ok in every other area of life but not sports

Thats just off the top of my head and needs only logic and a small amount of evidence to prove.

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Check out the FDA website, it's going to be against anything you might think about. They might even be against food since they put it along with drugs.

13. LancerV

Actually the FDA was against the ban of steriods when the act first came through

14. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

I am gonna go ahead and change my topic. What do you guys think of "Should steroids be banned?"

15. LancerV

How about "Steriod Dangers:Myth or Fact?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.