SRS Trying to wean off effexor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GM69, Mar 10, 2009.

1. GM69

GM69 OT Supporter

i was on celexa originally for anxiety about 7 years ago. my doctor decided to just let me be and left me on it until last summer. Last christmas is when a major depressive hit and hasnt really gone away since then. so that summer i saw a psychiatrist and she suggested effexor. started off on 37.5, and went up to 187.5, then i stayed at 150.
    so i saw the psychiatrist again last week and she wants me to try wellbutrin with the effexor, and slowly take the dose down on the effexor. i havent had any anxiety since a year and a half ago and i think my bf had something to do with that. the psych informed me that the wellbutrin may bring up anxiety again. so i may need to take a small dose of effexor to keep the anxiety away, maybe. i'd like to get just rid of it completely. since that depressive episode began, i havent wanted to have sex ever. last thing on my mind, hence why she suggest i try wellbutrin because of its history with having no sexual side effects.
    i'm also fed up with having to wait a month to see my gp for perscriptions and what not, so i'm taking this into my own hands. i went to a walk in to get the perscription for wellbutrin SR at 100mg a day so far until my appointment with my GP on the 26th.
    with being used to being a guinea pig im going to try to wean myself off effexor. starting today im down to 112.5. i feel kind of weird today, but i felt like i was getting sick lastnight, so who knows what its from. i read pages and forums, etc etc about how evil effexor can me.
    any suggestions or opinions would be gladly appreciated.
    im looking for ways to fill up what im missing from meds, like yoga, going to gym 3-4 times a week which ive been doing for 3 months and im going to be seeing a naturapath or whatever on the 19th.
    ive also read that some people havent been able to eat while on effexor, but i've gained weight on it. its the devil.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Effexor was terrible for me and I wasn't even taking that much. The worst was the brain zaps, and I twitched a bit for weeks. What I did was ween myself off of it with 5-HTP and Rhodiola. I can't really give you an accurate dosage but 5-htp does the same thing as effexor without the withdrawl symptoms so it may be easier and Rhodiola is just an overall lifesaver if you're on an SSNRI/SSRI.

3. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

This is fucking awesome. You're doing good stuff. Keep going.

4. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

I'm just about to start getting myself off it as of tomorrow.

i've been on it for 6 months, started at 37.5, and have worked up to 225 right now, it appears to work for a few weeks and loses its effect so we just up the dosage. ... If I miss a dosage for more than 3-4 hours i get the brain zaps and everything.

I'm about to swap over to "pristiq" ... but next 4 days drops to 150, then 4 days of 75 then 2 days of nothing at all! then onto the pristiq.

Not looking forward to the next 10 days

5. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

last few days have been hell, and its not looking at getting any better!! ... brain zaps, im grumpy as shit, painful headaches and dizziness like you wouldnt believe!! .... im really hoping pristiq is worth it

6. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Today first full day without effexor at all!! ... been throwing up, can barely stand up at work due to being too dizzy ... this really is like living hell

7. Daria

Daria New Member

everyone I've known who has weaned off effexor has had horrible side effects like this. my mother was unable to drive for at least a week when she was weaning off of hers. so I'm assuming this is completely normal, although it is also completely horrible

8. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

Werd same for me. Effexor was nasty coming off it and made me feel really weird when I was on it. Zoloft works a lot better for me.

9. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Has subsided a little, ... start on pristiq tomorrow ... but still feeling like im fighting the worst demons from hell

10. GM69

GM69 OT Supporter

omg, this is insane. i was completely find weaning off of effexor, all the way to 37.5 and this is day 3 of nothing and i'm loosing my mind. i thought i was dying yesterday. i've never had a migraine before, and now i've had one for 2 days. I didnt know what people meant by "brain zaps" and now i can't get rid of them. the horror stories are true. i can't focus on anything, i'm angry, sad, irrational, anxietyall the time. to sum this up, it fucking sucks. i seriosly hope this stops soon. i was >.< that close to asking my boyfriend to drop me off at the psychward.

11. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Hang in there, ... im feeling a fair bit better, still got the migraines though, but things do get better

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

holy shit you weaned yourself off in 10 days? I thought it was supposed to take months.

13. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

It does and it should. :o

10 days is far, far too fast. That's why he's having so many problems. You should be looking at a time period of several months, with slightly decreasing doses every 3-4 weeks, if not longer.

14. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

No, it doesn't. :ugh: At all.

15. Daria

Daria New Member

I'm wondering why the doctor didn't recommend a longer time period for weaning off the meds?

16. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

I don't know - I was under the impression he was doing this on his own. I'm not saying you need like 6 months to wean off it, but at least 2-3, especially coming from a higher dose.

Side note: If you find you need to stay on the Effexor (or any other SSRI/SNRI, for that matter), you can ask your doctor about using an adjunct dose of Wellbutrin to get rid of those sexual side effects. It works very well.

Beyond that, there's also the SARIs and such but those have fallen a bit out of favor due to some funky side effects.

17. Daria

Daria New Member

It's always good to ask the doctor that prescribed you the medication how long you should take to wean off. They have a better idea about your moods and needs.

18. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Totally agree, but there is a general consensus regarding certain medications that need be tapered and others that don't. :)

For example - you don't usually see Prozac tapered, but Celexa, Effexor, and many others almost certainly require it to avoid withdrawal effects.

19. Daria

Daria New Member

yes. and your doctor should notify you if what you are taking will be medication that you need to wean off of when you / the doctor decides you should be off of it.

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

oh yeah and you're not supposed to mix 5-HTP with SSRIs.

21. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Nah guys n girls, this was recommended to me by my phsychiatrist, as apparently the information he had from Wyeth was taper over 8-10 days.

Well i though i was getting better, ... on my first few days of pristiq, but the last 3 nights have been total and utter fucking hell. To the point that ive slept about 5 hours in about 5 days, ... every moment I manage to get cose to sleep i'll come down with a huge violent panic attack every time (violent as in not just little shakes and tremors, but my arms and leggs shaking back and forth violently)

Last night was the final straw, took 1mg of xanax before bed last nite, .. drifted to sleep a few hours later, and straight on que a violent panic attack. ... took another xanax to calm down, went outside for some fresh air, ... and then 45 mins later back in bed, .. same thing ... so I drove myself to the Emergency dept. .. they gave me 3 valium and told me come come back to speak tot he mental health unit today.

Took the valium and slept well, .. and spent abother 90 mins in talking with a psych, who has up my pristiq to 100mg and prescribed seroquel for sleep/anxiety until I can get into see my gp on Monday ... and another psych appt in another 28 days :(

22. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

Seroquel was a bitch, at least for me. Made me piss orange it dehydrated me so bad, and it put my heart rate through the roof.

I'm getting ready to kick a 2 year lorazepam habbit of 2mg a day... Anyone done this?

23. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

ooh shit :(

Seroquel is only guaranteed until monday when I see my GP again. ... Here is aust its really expensive unless you are diagnosed with Bipolar or Schitzophrenia.

24. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

Yeah, I only had to deal with it for a couple nights (72 hour vacation) but it definately sucked. I have SVT so I completely avoid caffiene/any upper in any form, and for some reason that shit made me feel like I was spun out right before it knocked me out. Not fun.

25. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

tnx for the heads up.