trying to use 2 routers in one subnet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bait, Apr 20, 2010.

1. bait

bait New Member

So I had a huge writeup typed and then failed and closed firefox, so I'm going to make this one a little more to the point.

I have my network set up like so

modem- router 1 - (WAN port)router 2 - computer/wireless

I'd like to be able to plug an xbox into router 1 and have it on the same subnet as my computer... I understand that that basically requires that one router be relegated to a switch.. I'd like to use router 2 as much as possible, as it's a way better router. I realize that re-doing cabling could make this really easy, but it would require work and money and I'm hoping I can just do this with router settings. I'm not a novice, but not really familiar with dealing with multiple subnets. What would you all do?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would make one router a switch. If you like router 2 better, then switch them around.

/thread

3. bait

bait New Member

precisely what I'm trying to do, but when I try to do that I'm not having much luck. How should I set up IPs/DHCP etc

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Turn dhcp and the firewall off on the router thats not hooked up to your modem (router 2). And dont plug anything into the WAN port on the second router, just run a cable from one of the LAN ports on router 1 to one of the LAN ports on router 2. Also, set router 2 to a static IP that is in your subnet's range but out of router 1's dhcp range. ie if router 1's address is 198.168.1.1, set router 2 to 192.168.1.5 or something like that

Or if all you are trying to do is add more wired ports just use a cheap switch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127085

5. bait

bait New Member

will try this tomorrow thanks

6. Smork

Smork Active Member

Just curious, what is the point of doing this? Have 1 as a router, and another to use just to hook up more computers?

7. johan

johan Active Member

he's probably already got it cabled this way,

and doesnt want to recable, or buy a switch.

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if router2 is the better router, you should use that one for the internet connection and use router1 as the switch

9. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

for people that have 2 routers lying around, it is much easier to make one of the routers a switch (just disable DHCP on the second router and dont use the WAN port on it...just use ports 1-4) instead of buying a switch.

also, cabling doesn't have much to do with this...unless i dont see the big picture. the same cable that is plugged into router 2 is the same cable that he would be plugging into a switch (if he were to buy one, which we know he doesnt need to do...).

10. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

:rofl: 2 routers 1 subnet...

11. monkeywipes

monkeywipes New Member

yeah...routers are used to define subnets. use a switch or make the second router a switch.