Trying to take time off. How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Filmboy44, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

:( How do you guys manage to take extensive time off? Pur? How?

I'm trying to take the rest of the year off, and haven't been to the gym in about 2 weeks...I feel flat, soft, weak, and LOOK weak and small. My legs especially are bothering the fuck out of me and I am fighting the urge to go and workout

I have my gear on right now and keep telling myself not to go and it will be better to just rest up for the new year. But My legs feel/look like twigs and I have no strength at all.

I even had someone say to me the other day if I had started to diet or cut back on the weights...

Its the worst feeling in the world. I know this time off will do me good tho.

how do you do it?

2. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

IT goes away after you relize no one cares how you look but you. Once i notcied people didnt have anythign to say it was a relief to me. I also have a wife an family so that helps. Im not out on the prowl. I know your pain but it will pass. Keep reminding yourself about the benefits you will get from this. You will be fresh, healed an ready to make new gains. Im loving my return after 7 months off. Its almost like i started over but at 225 an with all the knowledge.

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

How long are you planning to take off?

Probably three weeks was the longest I've ever taken off and even then I tried to do something once in awhile.

4. Thats what you get for doing linear overload routines.

5. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I never took more than a month off, even after contests...I usually took about 2 weeks off every 6 months ...but I'm planning taking off all of december and part of January.

Pur, thanks...I'm glad it gets better...like I said Im sitting here in my workout clothes and trying NOT to go. I know it will help in the long run but when Im not pumped up from the days workout and full of energy and if my clothes are a little snug I'm not Justin.

6. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I try to keep myself busy with other activities, like traveling (be it flying somewhere or hoping on my bike), so I’m not thinking about the gym. Timing breaks with holidays works well because I’m usually pretty busy running around visiting people, shopping and drinking.

See, I can be serious :p

7. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

;)

yeah, thankfully I'm working more hours and doing some shopping and when I get home I'm bushed.

I'm sure I'll make it but just dealing with "shrinkage" is my problem

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

"Man you look tired!"

"Yeah been shopping all day! I'm bushed!"

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Like trolling or creating more worthless threads :mamoru:

10. Drewski

Drewski New Member

Just take some creatine monohydrate, you'll be nice and bloated

11. jonno

jonno New Member

start snowboarding

12. Drewski

Drewski New Member

how come your takin time off?

the holidays are my favourite time to bulk.

13. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

once in a while I take sometime off...usually around the holiday its nothing more than 2 weeks and again in the summer around july I'll take 2 weeks off...but this time around I'm trying to take longer off...because each time I take 2 weeks off I come back and its like nothing's changed.

so I"m going to do what I want for a month and a half to see how I feel and come back full force...and possibly compete.

14. grifty mcgrift

grifty mcgrift New Member

I know what you mean about feeling weak and small... it has been a week off now, (it just so happens that I always get sick durring the holidays). i am starting to come out of it, and feel deflated... i know i don't look different to anyone else, but to me i don't feel that "pumped up" anymore.. you really get addicted to that tight feeling in your muscles, and you relate it to feeling big.

I think the next time i schedule a break, i will take some preworkout measurements and use that as a gauge when i feel like i am losing my gains. it will remind me that i am not getting smaller, and will reaffirm the benefits of the break.

15. Drewski

Drewski New Member

Ah.

My phiilosophy is since I’m bulking, I want to keep lifting through the many feasts of the holidays, then come Jan 1, I’m going to take 2 weeks off to a)give my body a break before cutting and b)avoid all the New Years fucktards.

16. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I hate taking any kind of time off, makes me feel worthless and like I don't know what to do with the time I'd normally be in the gym. So sometimes rather than not lift at all, I'll just take a week and do everything really light.

Oh and Filmy, your christmas card story cracked me up.

17. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

:) if that woman really mails it back, I'll send it to Pur and have him scan it for everyone :)

18. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

:rofl:

19. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Sweet, I'll try that next time.

20. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Have a rough relationship and break-up, it's been working for me anyways, Christophers may be able to give you some pointers as well.

21. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

i've never had a broken/fractured bone:noes:

22. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

phht, not even that stopped me. I broke up with the GF and I spent more timein the gym....:dunno:

I'm alright tho, I didn't go today. I never thought that Id be happy about saying I missed the gym

23. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Same here when I am in a relationship I spend less time in the gym and not as focused. However, single I spend a couple hours in the gym(mostly talking before I leave or when I get there for about an hour to people).

I had to take off about a month for a bruised shoulder (thanks four wheeler) and it did suck but I cooked new things and played playstation and caught up on movies. Going back was hard because I was getting use to being lazy and it took a lot of motivation to get me back in.

24. Zoomba

Zoomba New Member

Damn Film, just noticed that you were in Montreal

Wish I could make it up there once in a while, considering it's only a couple hours away.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Filmy

25. lowridah

lowridah G

do you guys still eat the same when taking the time off?
    do you keep your protein up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.