Trying to run a Headunit-less setup in resto-mod muscle car.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheTeflonDon, Apr 7, 2007.

1. TheTeflonDon

TheTeflonDon New Member

Howdy all, long time no post.

I'm building a '67 Camaro all non-stock lots of cool little mods everywhere. Anyway, with the console I have it doesn't leave room for a headunit, not to mention I don't want to have one anyway. Is there a way to run an iPod (perhaps directly to an amp?) with no headunt at all? As a bonus question, can I run sattelite radio with an am/fm tuner? Basically I'd like to run just the iPod, sat. radio, amp, speakers, and two subs.

Am I out to lunch or is there some possibilities here?

Umm I know pics are always requested for anything, so here's one of the car (back end needs to be lowered more still).
    [​IMG]

2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

What we do is use an EQ with an aux in., so for aux you can run your ipod, and the normal input your can run your sat radio. Its entirely possible.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

In a car such as this where he's trying to preserve (guessing) simplicity of interior, where do you mount the eq and how does one switch modes/radio stations.

Remote control in the glovebox, maybe?

4. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

well an eq can BE the remote control.. We usualy mold them into the glove box or under dash. Whatever the customer needs.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I had a simlar setup, ran my MP3 player (not an IPod) directly into two amps, no head unit. Worked pretty well. Controlled the volume form the side of my MP3 player. I was also able to hook up a CD player, never tried the satellite radio but the theory is the same.

6. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

If you want to do it right, I would look into the Alpine Vehicle Hub.

This would be a great/correct way to do it. It has a hide-away brain, then a small control unit (like a remote control).

All the pre-outs, audio processing, etc is done through the brain. Even has full-speed iPod capability.

Oh, but you need a screen.

7. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I used to run a 4ch amp off my mp3 player. I didn't really care about the rear as it was just for fill anyways. I just used a headphone->rca cable and a y-adaptor at the amp. Sounded pretty damn good too.