Trying to pick up 3d....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eof, Jan 28, 2004.

1. eof

eof New Member

I aquired Maya 4.0 a few days ago and started playing around with it...created this master piece of dogshit in a few minutes.... [​IMG] I like the way I can move in Maya but I have no clue how to placing textures...I am thinking about junking it and picking up 3dsmax instead. Anyone have any experience in either?

:fawk: to all the google it people....

I know how to use google and havn't been able to find any good tutorials on textures in maya... :hs:

Is 3dsmax that much easier to learn / use?

2. eof

eof New Member

My goal is by this time next year is to recreate the Aurora Snow double anal from Gang Bang Auditions 7 in 3dsmax. But not the part where the guys balls touch cause that might came off a bit gay....

3. B(C)orrado

B(C)orrado Guest

3DS max isnt that much easier. They both are very complex programs. If you want something VERY easy to start with, go with Hash's Animation:Master. I use both 3DS and Maya at school and can say that they are not much different in their learning curves.

4. eof

eof New Member

Yeah...just playing around with 3ds for a few hours I am finding it harder to model with but easier to apply materials / lighting....

It crashes like a motherfucker though...constantly in both ogl and d3d.

5. lostfilez

lostfilez Guest

Well if you're serious about learning Maya, there's several places you can go. First off look for the visual quickstart guide for maya, check amazon.com... it's only about $15 and it's a great reference. And there's several good websites out there to check out...

3D-Buzz Has about 8 hours of free training videos for maya... registration is required, but it's free

LearningMaya Great site for links to tutorials for maya

CGTalk Great forum site for everything 3D, there's a section just for maya too

3D-Total Another good site for tutorials, and forums which you can find help

Highend 3D Great site for info, tutorials, forums for maya. You can find LOADS of mel scripts on this site too. Site is a little more geared to the experienced 3D user, but still a great site to check out.

There's a lot more sites out there, but I think that's a pretty good starting point. :bigthumb:

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

7. eof

eof New Member

[​IMG]

Starting to get a little bit better at this stuff....still suck. Not too bad considering a little over a month ago I didn't even know how to open 3dsmax....=)

8. Scn64

Scn64 Guest