SRS Trying to Overcome Self

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Reukie, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Reukie

Reukie ...

I've always had trouble trying to get myself to work. I tend to procrastinate, which leads to work piling up. And when work does pile up (even just a little), I tend to become "overwhelmed" (I suppose I also overreact very easily). So much so that I procrastinate even more. Then I start to despair. How I have managed to go far in college just seems like the result of luck.

I'm also trying to become healthy. Im currently obese and every time I try or even think about working out and going on a diet, I end up not going through with those.

Well, that's it (not all, really). I dunno why I made this thread. I suppose I just feel like venting. Maybe it'd be nice if anyone could post advice on breaking bad habits or maybe tell a story... I feel that my current problems may end up working out in the end (maybe not), just that I don't think I could go on relying on luck. And I feel that I may not have the necessary skills to go further in college (and in life).

Thanks for reading.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its a war against your personality. What you need to do is adapt a different way of viewing things. You know lets say i have homework, i procastinate and i have the test. Then i fail the test. Imagine if i have to goto bed, i procastinate, i have to goto school that other day, i don't goto bed and end up only having 3 hours of sleep, i do terrible at school, and can't learn because my brain isn't functioning. I don't get a diploma, i get to live a terrible life ,with a bad earning job, i procastinate on my job, i lose my job as a result, i start doing drugs, and eventually i die.

What you need to realise is that life is forced, there is no choice, and thus you don't have the luxury of procastinating, at the cost of you going down the drain.

You know ,therefore you should realise that school isn't made to torture you, the job isn't made to torture you, the things you have to do in life aren't there to torture you, they are there to sustain you. The amount of effort you do determines wether you sustain or not, in life its swimming or drowning, up or down the drain.

Don't feel pressured, everything that you do in school or your job is something you do for yourself. So instead of procastinating , start investing in yourself. If you don't then its just bad for you.

Its difficult i know, what you need to do is put your mind on zero and just do it. The moment you start thinking, is the moment you stop doing. Don't think about it, put your shoes on and start running.

Another thing you could do is put a jar for a good goal, everytime you procastinate you have to put 10 dollars in it. At least you need something to pressure you, and you need to kick your own ass into doing things.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

The first paragraph describes me very well. I've managed to coast this far through college so far with doing minimal work... I just can't seem to concentrate on doing work :hs:

4. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Me three. :o

5. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

this happens to me too. when i feel i am going to procrastinate when i really am not suppose to, i say to myself "fuck it, lets do it and get it over with" and ive built upon that with the relief of not having to worry about whatever i needed to do anymore.

i think about how all those times i procrastinated and it has bit me in the ass and i say to myself, everytime that happened, i felt like shit, lets not make that happen again. i also think of how i feel if i dont procrastinate and get things done when it needs to be done, feels reallly GOOD. i feel accomplished and not a failure to myself.

6. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

oh and in response to you saying you think your problems might work itself out and not having the neccessary skills.

dont hope for it to work itself out. MAKE it work itself out. i once heard a saying "luck comes to those who seeks it out". i think thats true to some extent. take that initiative and GET TO IT. ask yourself, if you hate your lifestyle why are you continuing to live it instead of changing and improving the quality of your life? write those reasons down and try to start working on improving or fixing those reasons, one at at time.

change takes time and can be slow, if you do try to change, remember to look back as you progress and give yourself credit for the journey, use that as fuel to keep moving forward toward your goals.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  7. adi

adi oh brahhh

that actually sounds like a really good mindset, i myself procrastinate a lot... in fact im studying for a huge test tomorrow that i should have started weeks ago :hs: i think im gonna save your post and read it over and over again when i get the urge to procrastinate :)