trying to make the switch SOON!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nashstradamus, Jan 11, 2005.

1. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

right now i have a 2.4ghz dell that i am trying to sell at the moment

looking into buying, actually obsessing over, this ibook for $1557 from apple.com with my student discount

• 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 14-inch TFT XGA display
    • 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

a few questions

1. will this be able to handle word processing, semi-graphical games (WoW), internet browsing, dvd burns, chatting and other applications with ease?
    2. should i wait because apple will be realeasing something in the near future in this price range ($1500-2000) that would be worth waiting for?
    3. i need this to last me the next 2-3 years, is it worth the investment?
    4. does anywhere offer a better price than apple student discount?
    5. how is apples warranty? standard and extended?
    6. favorite and least favorite ibook/powerbook feature
    7. SuperDrive - how long to burn DVDs? how easy is it to use?

sorry about all the questions i figured this would be the best place to get some good answers. thanks to anyone who responds!

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

1. very much so!
    2. Apple doesn't do an entire system change very often and when they do, its pretty well known before it happens. Just like any electronic, prices are always going down.
    3. definitely...Im running on a 2000 Powerbook Pismo (400mhz) and it works great!
    4. legally, no. prices at the apple store, online, Frys, etc., will all be the same but only apple directly offers any type of discount.
    5. get AppleCare no matter what.
    6. iBooks compared to Powerbooks are a little sluggish but its only noticeable to me because I run on a powerbook at all other times.
    7. i've never burned a dvd on an apple but iDVD is a great tool from what I hear and I believe the mac version of Toast supports it too. Burning CD's is a snap using iTunes.