Trying to Learn SQL and PHP - Need Resources

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by keensab, Jun 5, 2007.

1. keensab

keensab Bang Boom Pow!

Can anyone recommend, in their opinion, the best all around software/book suite for complete SQL and PHP dummies.

I have very primitive C programming experience, but really looking for something aimed at the lowest common denominator. Ideally something that I could learn from while at work with included sample files and interactive tutorials.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Cymric

Cymric New Member

Being a CS major, usually I have an assignment that is set directly at a goal, and when time came around to do my database project I was blessed with a friend who is a DB technician and well versed in php/sql. All he did was write a simple "connect.php" for me (about 100 lines of code), and everything else I have just learned on my own. If you're not used to loosely typed languages, that'd be a place to start. Read a bit of the theory behind it if that's what you normally do. If you're like most people and want to just jump into it and you absolutely need a book and don't want to use the net for tutorials, I suggest any book published by the O'Reilly company (you'll know them by the animals on the front covers) http://www.oreilly.com/store/complete.html

I work at the Engineering library at my college, and these books are actually on a 7-day shelf since they are so often requested. They have a book for any language I've ever used (except smalltalk -- never found that one), and the ones on php, C++, javascript, SQL, and other common languages are awesome. It's best to find them in a library, as the prices can be pretty steep unless you are able to find an alright used price.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've been happy with Wrox.

O'Reilly has been hit or miss for me. Some were great references, but some a shitty. None have been good books... They read more like manuals. Wrox has been enjoyable to read.

4. goober

goober New Member

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The "Learning..." series are good learning books. The manuals are manuals.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

there are lots, search google for something like "database driven website tutorial mysql"

8. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Googling for tutorials will net you something useful the majority of time.

Just use words like: tutorial, learning, introduction, examples, samples

Don't rely on any one online source. Just search until you find something that you like, and work along with the examples.

9. imraven52

imraven52 New Member

php.net/mysql

10. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

There's a few things you'll want to do in addition to finding a book

Download and install XAMPP, which will set up Apache with PHP and MySQL on your local machine, so you can actually do some coding and database work. XAMPP will also come with phpMyAdmin installed so you have a web gui for using MySQL (though I recommend you learn the console commands too).

Notepad++ or Scite are good fast, powerful text editors

For an IDE, the PHP Developer Tools (PDT) for Eclipse is great and is what I'm using atm.

Then I recommend you actually grab some PHP projects from Sourceforge, such as gallery, to get you familiar with how a PHP site might be set up and coded.

And I highly recommend you debug and step through some of this code so you get your head around everything. If you've already done some C this won't be necessary.

Then when you start doing your own stuff, learn some of the PEAR libraries, or more preferably, the Zend Framework. The latter will be excellent for you to a site up and running using good practices.

Also download the CHM (Windows Help) version of the PHP Manual from php.net for your easy reference. And read the Security chapter!

11. keensab

keensab Bang Boom Pow!

thanks a bunch everyone. Especially you whup.