A&P Trying to help my GF get a start in photography...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Sirian, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Sirian

Sirian New Member

Hey guys,

My GF got her Canon Rebel DSLR for Christmas and she has really taken a liking to it and really wants to pursue photography as a serious hobby and maybe a career. Her birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her a few gifts to help her along. I've already picked out a simple new bag for her camera, 35mm lens and 375(?) mm lens (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A26DOG57FL5OY2&v=glance).

Now I want to get her some good photo editing program and a book on how to use it. Naturally I thought Photoshop would be the best, but there are so many versions I don't know which one is the best suited for photography or if it is more focused on the other stuff in the Adobe suite of software. So, what do you photographers use as a good image editing software? And are there any good books I could buy for her to read to educate herself on how to use it?

2. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i wouldn't buy that bag, its not for carrying multiple lenses and a flash or two. its made for a larger point and shoot or a rebel with the kit lens and no others. get her a bag she can grow into some and even carry around her current equipment.

as far as software goes, i typically use lightroom and photoshop (along with a few actions/plugins/presets for them). i can't really recommend a book for either of them though, because i've used more online tutorials than i have books.

what sort of photography is she wanting to get into? if she's wanting to do portrait photography, look into maybe getting her a cheap off camera flash setup.

3. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

i agree with tutsuo, let her pick her own bag. it's personal and everyone works differently.

photoshop elements is all the software she'll need, most of the "pro" photoshop (CS4) stuff has to do with CMYK color, which she doesn't need at this point. lightroom is also pretty useful, probably more so than PS at her level. it will help to catalog her stuff and she can make some pretty decent corrections with it.

4. Sirian

Sirian New Member

A good off-camera flash is a good idea! Any specific recommendations on what a good relatively cheap beginning off-camera flash would be? She has mainly taken nature shots and just casual shots of friends and stuff, nothing even close to professional yet.

5. tetsuo

relatively cheap, look into a manual flash like a vivitar 285 or an older canon 540ez. trying to stick with cheap, look into an umbrella, a stand, and an umbrella holder. then you'll need to a way to trigger the flash. the cheapest wireless method would be the cactus triggers.

6. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

50mm F1.8

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Used 430 EX or EX II is what I'd recommend for a noob. That way she can start learning about light while using TTL, then move onto manual controls after she's got a good understanding of flash exposure.

8. derekOT

derekOT New Member

+1
    I think it is difficult enough just to learn how to use the Camera without using a manual flash. It would be a huge burden trying to learn ISO/aperture/shutter speed and manual flash power. E-ttl would make life much easier!

9. tetsuo

if she doesn't have any experience with photography, get her the book "understanding exposure." i learned a lot from it when i first started.

10. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Oh defiantly! I forgot about that, great book, every noob should read it!

11. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

This and a one light dvd.

12. tetsuo

unfortunately the dvd will cost him more than the rest of the flash setup. now the dvd rips can be had for the price of a pm to me and a little bandwidth. :o

13. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

Yup!

14. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

If only there was a dude on OTAP cool enough to do that for us all! :mamoru: