A&P Trying to get serious into shooting, tips?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by The Cable Guy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

So I've had my D90 for several months now, and haven't had the chance to go out and actually shoot for artistic or technical purposes.
    Most of my shots so far are just snap shots for group events, nothing I couldn't do with a point n shoot. I hardly ever shoot RAW, as I really don't need to for the stuff that I currently shoot.

I've shot a few of items like guns, knives, stuff for sale, etc, but again nothing too awesome.

So do you guys have any tips on getting serious into this shit?

Spots to hit up in SoCal, additional gear to buy?

Currently, I've got the D90, 18-105VR lens, SB-600 flash, 3 spare batteries, one 8GIG card.

What additional items are must gets? I'm currently in the market for a nice tripod since my cousin took back his Gitzo.

2. aCab

aCab New Member

You can do a lot with what you have now. You just have to do out and do it. I shot with a Rebel XT and 18-55 kit lens for 7 months and those are some of my favorite shots.

You have to be into it mentally to get good photos, you can't just have a lot of gear.

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I know I need at the least, a decent tripod. Any suggestions on what type of spots to hit for nice shots, day or night?

4. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

In my opinion, location matters when you have an objective in mind of what you want to shoot. If there isn't, then get in your car and go drive around your city, go out of the city and go into the city where you haven't gone before.

Great location does not always lead to great shots. Its your shots that make a crappy location turn into something more than just a shit hole.

Tell a store with your shots, and lead the viewer to ask questions about what it is that you are shooting, curious mind is a an excited mind.

5. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Figure out what kind of shooting you like to do before you start buying gear. Once you have more experience, you'll have a better idea of how your current gear is limiting or holding you back. Do you want to shoot people? Landscapes? Cars?

6. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

most likely people and landscapes.

7. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

For landscapes what you have now will be a good starting point. Do a search here, there are lots of threads on starter tripods (usually Bogen/Manfrotto stuff is recommended).

If you want to shoot portraits, you're going to want to get that flash off camera. Pick up a set of wireless triggers and receivers, a light stand, and a modifier of some type (umbrella, etc) and go to town.

Practice on your technique, composition, and eye first, then post some samples here for C&C.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i bought the d90 with kit lens at the end of june. few weeks after i sold the kit lens cuz it's terribly shitty.

take the $200-$250 you'll get from that and buy a diff lens if you can.

55-200 F4-F/5.6 VR is $225 and a great lens
    50 1.8 is $130 and great
    35 1.8 is $200 and great

buy this book
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250888412&sr=8-1
    helps you understand so much and makes you get out of the soccer mom point and shoot way of thinking

read this 600 times
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/index.htm

most of his suggestions are good for what he uses.... take them with a grain

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250888486&sr=1-3
    great book explaining more on the d90

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lig...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250888511&sr=1-1

Shoot in RAW and learn Light Room. I'm sure you can Probably Mention you need light room and someone will give it to you

just my $.02

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

also www.bhphoto.com and www.adorama.com are 2 good sites to browse equipment like lenses. just narrow it down to nikon lenses, sort by price, and read what people say. most suggestions are pretty good

10. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

Anybody got a copy of photoshop cs4 for mac they wanna throw my way *wink wink*

11. aCab

aCab New Member

pm tetsuo. You have to use Little Snitch tho.

12. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

:rofl: subtle:hammer

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You don't have to use Little Snitch actually, you can just edit your hosts file in /private/etc and add the following lines:

You need root privileges to do this. Google if you don't know how. I believe the same list of hosts works in Windows as well.

Saves you the trouble of having to manage a firewall program, which I find to be a pain in the ass.

14. aCab

aCab New Member

:eek3: doing this when I get done with the work I'm doing now.

:bowdown:

15. autibahn

autibahn OT Supporter

is it really that bad? :wtc:

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

holy thread bump

yeah it is weaksauce